Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing Sticker Glue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brian S, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I just bought a Fender Jazz at Guitar Center. There was a sticker on the pick guard that I tried to peal off. I managed to get the paper off, but the glue is still on the guard. My wife tried some nail polish remover to remove the glue, but it didn't work. Can anyone suggest a glue remover that won't harm the pick guard? :help:

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    WD-40. May have to let it soak. Eventually, it will come off with very little pressure.

3. try some googone. worked for me when i had a rebel flag painted across my bently (don't ask, was on there when i got it!)

4. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Strangely enough, lighter fluid will work. The kind used for Zippos, that is. I believe it is the naptha in it that dissolves the glue.

5. subout

subout

Sep 24, 2004
    Theres a thin layer of plastic that you can peel off the top of the pickguard when you buy a new fender guitar, the stickers arent stuck to the actual pickguard. Took me like 3 days to figure out when i bought my jbass last month. Just start peeling from an edge, it comes off pretty clean.

6. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Any oil. Try regular cooking oil. Beware of aggressive thinners, etc.

7. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    You're right! That layer of plastic is VERY hard to see. :rolleyes:
    And it peeled off very easily and cleanly.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. That information that can prove useful in the future.