1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

removing stingray foam mutes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Dec 8, 2011.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i jus recieved a neat 80s stingray w the foams from a fellow tber. i have no use for them and prefer my ray to look more 'modern'. the foams seem to be glued to the metal, do i hv to use a pen knife to slice em out?

2. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    I think you can remove the whole assembly by turning the screw.

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I turned the screw off, but the metal plate connecting the foam is still intact. Do i have to yank it out with force?

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    They're all part of a single mute assembly...remove all the mute screws.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    thanks!

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I would go that route rather than cut the foam off - you might want to sell it one day, or decide that you want to use the mutes, afterall... I personally would probably never use them, but I'd leave the option to return them to being functional, if I were in that situation...

- georgestrings

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Don't cut them off. Just remove the mute plate and save it. It's best to remove the bridge so you don't gouge the finish trying to slide the mute plate out.
    Here, this pic should be self-expanatory...

DSC06455.