1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing String Ferrules

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 11, 2010.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've got 4 stubborn string-through ferrules on the back of a T-40 body that I'd like to finish sanding, so I can stain it. Problem is, I can't figure an easy way to remove them.

I've loosened one about a millimeter out of it's hole by inserting an allen wrench and rocking it around, but that's chewing up the inside of the thing.

Is there any easy way to remove string-through ferrules and I'm just too thick to see it?

2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Try heating it with a soldering iron. That could loosen the glue/finish/crap that's holding it in, and will soften the wood around it too.

John

3. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    Heat yes and the shock of a sharp tap (not a bash) with a small ball peen or a screwdriver handle as it cools may help unseat it.

4. Gentle is good. You don't want to take splinters with it.

5. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I guess you tried knocking them out from the front with a small screwdriver?

6. TheEmptyCell

I tried going from the front and knocking them out, to no avail. Even heating did little, and I let that sucker heat for a couple of minutes. I loosened one with the allen wrench technique, and as I went to pry it out, the lip around the edge broke away. So, sadly, I'm leaving them there and just sanding around them.

7. Read my post above about splintering the body when you push them out. Pretty easy to predict. Much better to have left them alone from the start.

If you're doing a full refin though, it doesn't matter because you can fill the holes and refin the splinters.

8. TheEmptyCell

Oh, it's not splinters. I haven't had that problem. It's the lip of the ferrule itself. I guess it got a little brittle from being heated and gave way while I was pulling at it. No problems, though, I hammered what remained back in, and filed the sharp edge. Thanks for the help everyone!

9. Hi.

If You still have something to salvage, the same method that's used for inserting and removing the tuner ferrules can be used. This time You just replace the driving socket with a pin that fits snugly into the string-through hole.

I'm having a brain-fart ATM, but a TBer has done a great pictorial about the tuner ferrule removal/installing.

Regards
    Sam