1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing that annoying Alien thumb rest...

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by BassHappy, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Hey All

A tip for others who may be in my boat. I am a pick player and just couldn't play the Alien at all with that thumb rest.

WarwickA.

It couldn't be more in the way and made the bass completely unplayable for me. So I decided to fly without a net - it had to be removed - and I enlisted my buddy and guitar guru - John Ingram who set up every PRS Guitar for over thirty years - to get rid of it for me.

Once John had removed the thumb rest we discovered - as in the the photo below - the manufacturer uses a series of exacto knife cuts into that perfectly beautiful spruce to make certain that the glue secures the thumb rest. A mortal sin as far as I am concerned to mark up that beautiful top.

Warwick1.

Although the visual impact was minimal, I simply can't live with an instrument that has this type of flaw. So, in the end the perfect solution at my suggestion was to place and glue a beautiful thin slice of rosewood veneer - the exact same size - in it's place. Here is what the bass now looks like and all is perfect, although still somewhat annoying.

Alien.

It's interesting, have been toying with picking up a Jonas Hellborg model but with that thumb rest I think I will pass.

I spoke to Warwick and they seem unwilling to make any changes to that model, including the thumb rest. Such a shame shame shame.

Bass gallery is here for more excitement:

www.innertainment.net

Best and happy plucking,

BassHappy

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Nice! I'm fairly certain those knife marks were more to provide a "rougher" surface for the glue to adhere to, instead of just the finish.

I've been debating going the other way; I play with a ramp on many of my basses, and have thought about taking the thumbrest off, getting a nice piece of wood and making a ramp to act as thumbrest as well.

3. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    Sand it down, so it is flush or nearly flush with the body. You'll have a nice dark accent line.

Koog.

4. I do not use a pick, yet I also find thumb rests uncomfortable & cumbersome (on any instrument.) The thumb rest was one major reason I chose to order the Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 instead of the Warwick model. None of the Rockbass pictures I've seen online displayed a thumb rest, while the Warwick Alien pics all seemed to show one. I hope my assumption was correct. Has anyone seen a Rockbass Alien bass with a thumb rest?

My bass (ordered Nov 2012) hasn't arrived yet. My order (and several other peoples' orders) have been delayed for months. Originally advised March, the next shipment time had been further delayed until May, which I hope finally takes place. Of course, the seller feels our frustration, offering many times to refund anyone that didn't want to wait longer, but I don't want to lose my place in the line.