1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

removing the "click"?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by the_fonz, Nov 28, 2006.

1. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    ok, i've been playing for a little bit now, and i've removed most bad habits from my technique, but i can't figure out how to get rid of one problem.

when i play (this is fingerpicking) i get a loud clicking noise from each pick. i think it may be the strings hitting the pickups. any advice on how to avoid this noise?

2. Try a lighter touch.

3. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    good idea, thank you for your help. also, i've seen my brother playing with tape over his pickups and he said something about click. not sure what he said about it, but could that be a solution?

4. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Could it be a right hand technique issue where you are pressing the string down towards the body (and pickups) as opposed to plucking to set the string in motion parallel to the body? I've seen this more than once with some of my new students, just requires some attention to the RH technique until it becomes natural.

5. could be that your nails are hitting the string, this is what causes the clicking for me most of the time

If they're even a little bit too long, try trimming them. If that's not the case, it could be the angle that your finger is hitting the strings. Experiment.

Also, I'm not sure tape wouldn't do anything but kill the tone. It would be the equivalent of turning down the tone knob. Could be wrong though.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fonz, your brother was doing a studio trick that some guys do to keep the polepieces from clacking from the strings, but that's not why your bass is clacking. The clacking is a technique thing. Lighten up a little and play closer to the bridge. That takes care of it.

7. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    ok, i figured it out, i was pushing the strings into the pickups, thanks guys