Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing the Pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Atef, May 14, 2003.

1. I dislike the look of pickguards, so I was wondering what would happen if I took the pickguard of my squier(aside from the obvious screwholes that will be there)is the surface under the pickguard unfinished and unpainted?

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    if you have a P-bass I believe they're front routed... so yea.. your wiring might be all over the place plus its what holds the knobs in if its built anything like my MIA P-Bass :p

3. word! you could maybe buy a jazz control plate, and screw that in instead, perhaps?

But yea, if you got a P-bass, you're likely to have wires sticking out, left, right and centre. I think this is the same with the new jazzes, also?

:)

4. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm not sure with Jazzes, the only Jazz I have is a Jaco fretless, based of a '62 reissue. and that came with the pickguard off, but I recently took off the pickguard on my P-Bass to see the wood under because I was thinking of getting a clear guard on it.. forgot the newer P-Basses came with routing right under.. it was pretty darn ugly =P Its not even that new a bass either, like a 98-99?

5. hmmmm, what's under the pickguard? Go get a screwdriver and find out.

6. the bass is a p-bass so I guess I'll just have to go with the pickguard and wait till I can afford to buy a better bass...thanks for the advice