Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing the "plastic" on the bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by semborg, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hello, just 5 minutes ago I got an Idea. To remove the "plastic" surface on the bass and get the wood visible.

I have already started, 10% of the "plastic" surface is gone, from my nice 5-string Squier, which I have defretted.
    Tuned E-A-D-G-C

Do you think I am crazy?
    Can this hurt the bass?
    Change the sound?

I am going to put lacquer on it so it will be strong.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    The... plastic surface? :confused:

Do you mean the paint, or what?

3. sorry to be so blatant, its a squier, it cant soudn worse :p

sorry for that, it wont make a difference in the sound, aslong as its laquered so the wood doesnt swell and such its ok

4. Do what ya want, but I'd go on to say you *might* not be entirely enthused with what you find under the finish.

5. I am also playing a Peavey Cirrus 5 fretless, and I tell you guys, this Squier sounds good!
    Before it sound like crap, but when I have fixed alot on it, defretted it etc, it sounds like a whole new bass.

I can record something if you want to listen to its sound.

6. i was thinking that too, not so much a grain, as chipboard

7. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    From one Turd Polisher to another, I say go slow, learn something, at least you've got another bass to play. I stripped crappy paint off of an old Japanese J bass copy and had a beautiful plywood piece of @$&^ when I was done..

8. Tony

Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    I did the same thing to an old Carvin LB75 I have ... it started off as a painted black/fretted 5-string. I always liked how the instrument played, but it always sounded muffled or choked. Defretted it, and liked the way it played as a fretless, so then I pulled all the hardware and electronics and removed the paint with stripper and a plastic putty knife. Once that was done, cleaned up all the residue and took it down to bare wood with an orbital sander. I refinished it with cherry Min-Wax - iirc, I did about 5 or 6 coats, sanding between each coat. It actually came out pretty well, looks vaguely redwoody or bubinga'ish ... of course, I've had it this way for almost 10 years, so it doesn't look quite as good now, but still pretty good, especially from more than 5 feet.

As to sound, it definitely changed the sound. Became much more open, more woody, and really blossomed as a fretless. I installed Bart's and an EMG BT pre, and that helped even more ... it's now the bass I've owned the longest, although it's about to go up for sale ..

As long as you have other instruments and don't set your expectations too high, you should be fine ...

Hope it helps,
    Tony