Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing the Rockbass Logo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oni5000, Feb 23, 2004.

1. oni5000

oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    Has anyone ever removed the rockbass logo from the headstock of their Rockbass? It just looks so ugly.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Dumb question, but what would you put there instead? I would think a Warwick without anything on the headstock shouts cheap ripoff more than something that says Rockbass. Is it really THAT bad that you have to deface an instrument to be happy?

3. +1

4. it's pretty bad. the time and cost of pulling out an inlay, filling it in and getting the finish to match is not worth it to me. i'd just live with the tacky font and move on with my life.

robb.

5. oni5000

oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm not gonna do anything as complex as removing an inlay and refilling it. I thought maybe there was an easy way to do it.

I would have put the rockbass name there if it was my choice, but without the giant obnoxious font is all.

6. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD
    Hey I own a Rockbass and my name is ROCK I love that logo!!!!! :spit:

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    +2

8. +3!! be proud of having a rockbass they are warwicks anyway. just made in another country.

9. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD

I just bought a new Vampyre today!!!!Hail Satan...black metal rules!!!

10. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I like the vampyre's that rockbass has alot, thought about getting one. But that black doesnt do it justice....Anyone seen the bassist from Lamb Of God rocking out on his Warwick Vampyre SN? That bass is beautiful with the right finish on it.

Oh.....and dont take off the logo....people are going to know its a rockbass just by the color and fretboard so whats the point? And if you decide to sell it...someones gonna be rather angry you removed the logo. I say just leave and deal with it....not like it contributes to your sound or anything.

11. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD

12. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Duct tape fixes everything.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Except removing that will take most of the headstock with it.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You keep the duct tape on there, dummy :p.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you could find some flat black paint like warwick uses o the headstocks, it'd be easy to cover. Quite permanent, though.

16. oni5000

oni5000

Nov 25, 2003
    Heh. I'm not ashamed of having a rockbass, or trying to fool anyone. It's just not aesthetically pleasing to my eye.

It's not worth ruining the headstock to remove it though. I just thought maybe there was an easy and non-damaging way to do it perhaps.

17. rockrollain

rockrollain

Feb 23, 2004
    Crofton MD

a cool sticker would work :bassist:

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    +1

19. T. Brookins

T. Brookins Supporting Member

I may be wrong, but isn't the logo just painted on? If it is not iridescent, it is usually not an inlay. I haven't seen a WRB in person.
    If it is an inlay, you could just bare the center of the headstock, which would be pretty cool looking.

-So, if you had to eat away wood, you'd eat it where you don't need it.

The early JD Thumbs had routed headstock rears.

Why not the front center- away from the tuners?

FYI: A friend of mine who loved his uniquely Curly-figured, all Ovankol Thumb Bass strongly disliked the neck dive, so on the back of the headstock, he routed around the tuners, rounded sharp edges ala older models, and shaved the neck profile. Voila! No more neck dive. Later, he added Ultralite Tuners. Neck lift!

These are wonderful basses. Ive gotta get my hands on the RockBass Fortress! If I dont like the neck profile, I'll just carve, sand, wool and oil the neck.

How are the neck profiles, by the way?

Where can I get the newly reintroduced Fortress?