1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Removing Thick Finish On Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Omnipharious, Jan 6, 2012.

1. I bought this neck of ebay many a month ago, and I'm very happy with the playability of it on the P-bass it's (currently off, but going back) on, but the looks are somewhat hard to get over. I like the fact that it's reverse, and I like blank headstocks, but the problem I have with it is the finish. It's a super hard, thick, cheddar-orange finish (trust me, it's much more orange in person), that is a big fail at looking vintage. I very much prefer thin, simi-gloss, or satin finishes on necks, and almost no finishes on fretboards, but this thing is high-gloss all over, even the fretboard :)eek:). I love the grain of the neck, but the super glossiness of it seems to distract from the grain, and makes it look almost painted that colour.

DSC04859.

DSC04861.

Obviously sanding won't do, and I don't want to do something that will require refretting, or potentially damage the neck. Would a certain type of liquid, or gel stripper work for this job? I'm not sure if it's poly, or nitro, but I think it's the former. Is there an easy way to find out, and does it effect what stripping method should be used?

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Why don't you just knock the gloss down with some steel wool? Otherwise unless I don't see it happening without a refret.

3. Because for one thing, I want it to be untinted, or have a very light tint, and I can't get rid of the colour without taking the finish off. Secondly, I like to have a soft finish on the neck where my hand is, like linseed oil, and a single coat of spray poly or nitro. The plasticy finish just feels weird to my hand.