1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Removing Translucent High Gloss Finish?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Matthew_84, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a bass that has a black translucent high gloss finish on top of a maple body. I'd only really pull the trigger if I can sand off/remove the finish to expose the raw maple wood without any of the black translucent stain, and then re-finish it so it's a natural maple finish.

Is this possible to do without removing too much wood off the body and so that there's none of the black finish (no blotches) visible?

Thanks.

2. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    Probably not, but maybe..
    Maple is generally pretty dense and doesn't soak up much stain.
    Perhaps it was sealed and the black tint was in the finish.
    But by the time you knew, it would be too late.
    Maybe, perhaps, but, generally...
    Best keep looking.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  3. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    It depends on the type of finish used. If the tint is in the finish, that's better- it'll all come off at once.
    There are threads on TB regarding finish removal, including poly, which is probably what you're referring to.
    Make and year of bass will help determine what finish was applied, if it is original.