Removing Tru-oil from rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by flyingfinbar, Aug 18, 2017.

1. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    How do I do it? I'm finishing my first neck with Tru-oil, and i accidentally got a few spots on my rosewood board. How can I spot clean them? Thanks!

2. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    You could buff it off with #0000 steel wool.*

*I am not a luthier and I barely passed woodshop in high school.

nbsipics likes this.
  3. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I have that! I'm assuming I should wait for it to dry?

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Yeah, I would wait for it to dry hard enough so it can be buffed out without smearing it all over.
    I doubt that it will soak very deep into the rosewood, or at all, so it shouldn't take much.

5. Cover your pups if you use the steel wool. You don't want those metal fibers on there.

6. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Use a razor blade as a scraper and have at it. Just use some lemon or mineral oil when you're done.

7. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Scraping might be a bit extreme if it has soaked into the rosewood. Is it bad? Could you simply add tru oil to the rest of the fretboard and blend it all in?

8. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

alcohol will melt it and you can wipe it off if it's not fully cured. It takes about 2-3 months to fully cure. I would scrape with a razor and wipe with a wet alcohol raw after I taped off the back of the neck. You have more of a chance of screwing it up with stool wool or sandpaper and getting an uneven result. Sharp brand new razor lightly scrape back and forth FWIW

reverendrally likes this.
  9. Turps or thinners should lift it while wet. Then you can use your steel wool to remove any that's soaked into the grain.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021