Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Removing tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Apr 12, 2001.

1. How do tuning machines come off the headstock. I see the four little screws on the back, but what about that ring around the peg on the front? Does it unscrew or what?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

On most basses that I've had it has ridges around the side of it that hold it in the wood. You will have to gently pry it up with a thin blade screwdriver or something.

3. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Those little ring thingies are known as ferrules.

Why exactly do you need to take them off?

I'd recommend against it as they are, most often, tapped in using grooves rather than epoxied.

If you swapping necks with somebody, keep em on. If you're changing neck (warmoth), then go ahead a hack away.

funk

4. I would be changing to a Warmoth neck so the ferrules would have to move over also. It sounds like they are pressed into the headstock and need to be muscled out to remove them. Right?

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Yes. Remove the machines first, and rather than pry them with a screwdriver (too easy to mark up the front of the bass) attack them from the back.

Do you have a socket set?? Grab a socket that is the same size as the hole, insert it and gently tap it from the back to work out the ferrule. They are usually pressure fitted.

6. I understand. I have a brass 'Drift' that will be perfect for this job.