Remy Shand: "The Way I Feel"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A criticism that is often leveled against today's crop of singers and boy bands is that they don't write their own music and neither do they play an instrument.

A couple of weeks ago I saw Remy Shand on TV and immediately ordered his debut CD, "The Way I Feel."

Now this guy not only writes his own music, he played all the tracks on the Cd and even sang the background vocals! He has such a versatile voice he is able to add so much texture and variety to his voice that the backing tracks sound credibly like other vocalists.

His style fits into R&B, or neo soul. His main singing voice at times recalls Phillip Bailey of Earth, Wind and Fire. Some of his songs also have a kind of E, W & F vibe. If I had not actually seen him on TV, I would have thought he was black, but Shand is White and Canadian! Maybe that shouldn't be surprising, but it surprised me, because Shand has such an excellent grasp of the genre of R&B, one that few blue eyed soulsters capture nearly as well.

I really enjoy his music and find his music as engaging or more as that of Alicia Keyes...but she is a heck of a lot prettier. :D

If you like romantic R&B, check out Remy Shand. I'm recording the CD onto tape as we speak to listen to in my car. It's the kind of soothing music like Sade that I prefer for driving in the hectic South Florida traffic.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The guy's a regular white Canadian Shuggie Otis.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My main "coding HTML" playlist is Remy's disk and both the Sade & Jamiroquia complete libraries set on random. :D

I can't wait for him to release more stuff, I've had his debute since it was first released... it's still one of my favorites
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I've got Remy's album. It's pretty enjoyable; sort of like Maxwell but without as much power or soul (I'm a HUGE Maxwell fan), but I never took notice that it was him laying down all the tracks. Pretty talented guy.
  5. I got it too. I dig it. ithink he borrows a little from Marvin as well. but then again, who doesnt.
  6. Boplicity

Yup, that's my feeling too. I recorded this CD, but it used up only one side of my tape. I want Shand to release another album so I can fill up the whole tape with his work. Guess we'll have to wait, though, as this CD hasn't been outvery long has it?
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    mid winter at latest... not sure.

I think I had it in March or April?
  8. Boplicity

Thanks for the info Speddling. My only regret is that I didn't find out sooner. I really like this mellow album.
  9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm bumping this really old thread just cause i Love this dude and album. I've had his album for 2 years now, and It still gets a lot of plays.

I love that he writes, plays most instruments, is a great bassist, and sounds like Smokey:D

I really hope there's another release coming soon
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    +1 He seems to have disappeared (though I haven't looked for him in months)...

I want to hear more!
  11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Ah, I need to dig up that record. It used to be in regular rotation, but I haven't listened to it for a few years. Thanks for reminding me.