1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Renaissance w/ Eaglewing - Live at the Park - Leland, NC

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Renaissance, Nov 4, 2018.

1. OK, so let me go ahead and get this off my chest. I would love to do really nice gig reports. You know the kind - the reports that some guy on here we all know and love (cough @BassCliff cough) does on a regular basis. Lots of very nice snapshots documenting the gig locations as if they were a travel brochure. Beautiful photos of beautiful people with beautiful smiles in beautiful locations and blah, blah, blah....... I mean, c'mon, I know the names of his bandmates - I KNOW THE NAME OF HIS DAMN VAN!

Cliff, I'm just playing with you - I love your gig reports. Truth be told, I really enjoy all the gig reports! I always find something interesting or amusing or informative. A personal invitation into the musical lives of those on here we talk to on a regular basis. Kinda cool if you ask me!

I said all that, so I could say this.....I always start with the best of intentions.

Here we are meeting up at the rehearsal space. The guy with his back turned to us is Morris. He teaches something like Entertainment Technology at the local Technical College. He's also the drummer and does an excellent job singing Don Henley. Our rehearsal space is his classroom complete with stage, lights, and equipment galore. We've played out on much worse stages than our practice space!

20181101_Leland.

The show was an hour and a half away from us in Leland, NC so we were carpoolin' it. We're trying to put together a sponsorship with a local car dealer so we may have access to something like a large van to use on shows like this so we could all ride together. It didn't work out this time so we wound up taking two vehicles. Since sound and lights were being supplied it wasn't bad at all. Our sound guy and "roadie" left earlier with a trailer carrying the amps, drum kit, etc.

I have no travel photos. It's the coastal plain of the Carolinas - flat land with bunches and bunches of pine trees. Our destination, Leland, sits on the outskirts of Wilmington, NC. You may recall this area was hit particularly hard by the recents hurricanes. This show was initially scheduled for late September. We had five shows scheduled in September - one got played, this one got rescheduled, and the remaining shows got cancelled due to the hurricanes and flooding.

We had played a show in nearby Oak Island, NC in June (Renaissance w/Eaglewing @ Oak Island, NC 06.22.2018). Someone at the Oak Island show referred us for the Leland series and we got hired right away. I guess the morale is, every show counts!

Here we are performing our version of the setup dance. It appears Mark is busting out his favorite setup dance move, the "Let's just look at this for a minute".

20181101_Leland_2.

Since sound and lights were being provided, it really wasn't too bad. Modern Sound and Staging was the company providing the equipment and setup. Greg was a super nice guy to work with. We're going to be working with them again NYE.

The show was to run from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. Since the time hadn't changed yet, it was getting pretty dark by show time. I did grab a couple shots of the crowd rolling in before we started.

20181101_Leland_3.

20181101_Leland_4.

I don't have an attendance count but our best WAG is around 300. There was a threat of rain and it had been overcast all day. This area has had so much rain and flooding recently we were afraid we were going to be the only people to show. We were very happy to have such a large and enthusiastic crowd! It got dark about the time we started and with the stage lights RIGHT IN MY FACE it was hard to see. I could see a lot of people line dancing and it wasn't hard to hear the crowd so I'm guessing they had fun also...........that is................until the rain came.

We made it all the way to Seven Bridges Road - about 15 or 20 minutes to the end of the show when it started. It wasn't a deluge or anything but enough to send everyone scampering for cover. People had very kind words for us as they ran away into the night!

Striking the stage went a lot faster than setting up! It wasn't long before we headed out from the park to meet at a Waffle House for a little post-show chow down. I don't think I've ever been to a pancake house with a bunch of friends when I didn't have a good time!

You know, we've really got it good!

Since I enjoy reading everyone else's gig reports I will try to do a better job of documenting my own in the future. Hopefully my commentary has made up for the woeful lack of photos.

Charles

2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Excellent write up Charles. :thumbsup:

The bar is set pretty high. All we can do is follow his lead. :cool:

You described it perfectly. Even in short reports there is interest to be found. I love 'em all too! :)

Ah yes, the old Amp vs Guitarist stare down. Who will blink first? :laugh:

Very nice crowd. Too bad the rain shortened but at least you got most of the show in. :thumbsup:

SWRnut, nixdad, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  3. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Renaissance: I don't play out, anymore...but I loved your stage shots, and was sorry to hear about the weather. Thanks for posting, and I wouldn't worry about BassCliff too much. (Left Coast - whaddaya gonna do with those guys?) ;)

nixdad, Sore Thumb, McG and 2 others like this.
  4. Nice rehearsal space, good report, bad weather. Thanks for posting.

Funny how all of our gig reports start with "this won't be as good as BassCliff's" or something along those lines.

nixdad, McG and Renaissance like this.
  5. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Great report and great stage shots, Charles! It sure seems like we East Coast guys have been waterlogged this year, doesn't it?

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

me too! sometimes i'm envious, sometimes i'm not...but i can relate to everyone's experience. pretty cool stuff. ;)
    and i enjoyed yours! nice job! :thumbsup:

i think cliff's reports get to the heart of the matter = pretty girls vs. food! :laugh:

7. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I guess just smile and shake your head. :p

The temptation to lead off with a disclaimer is strong. Like "Hey guys, this is the best I got, please don't compare me to the boss". :laugh:

Word!

8. trailer

trailer Thumper Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2008
    Guntersville, Al.
    Great report! Every weekend I intend to craft a BassCliff style report but it always seems like I forget until we're half way through the show.

nixdad, Renaissance and McG like this.
  9. TheMaartian

TheMaartian Always forward. Never straight.

Sep 23, 2014
    Flagstaff, AZ
    There's a band name in there somewhere!

Diversity is important. Can't be letting BassCliff hog the airwaves!

nixdad and Renaissance like this.
  10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi @Renaissance,

This looks pretty great. That practice space of yours is the bomb! An entertainment classroom, pretty dang cool. And I love that setup dance move called "Let's just look at this for a minute". I'm going to try it out! :)

Do you find it odd that people at most of these outdoor shows tend to sit way back from the band? I always want to be right up there so I can watch the performers make their music, not just listen to it. Then again, I guess the crowd is giving the dancers room to move.

What's the name of your gigmobile? ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

nixdad and Renaissance like this.
  11. I like this Grant, I'm going to start using it!

I lived out that way for a few years (compliments of Uncle Sam). I'll cut him a little slack.

LOL! He is the gold standard of gig reports around here.

Ain't that the truth Tony! I'm gonna change my middle name to Mallard or Drake or Pintail. Well, maybe not Pintail.

Yeah, if I wanted to see an ugly musician I could look in a mirror.

Me too!

Preach it brother and I'll turn the pages!

JRA, nixdad, Tony In Philly and 2 others like this.
  12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Gigmobile #1 is "Dalton"

LB7.

Gigmobile #2 is "Stacy"

BassCliff and nixdad like this.
  14. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice report. A roomy place to rehearse is pretty cool.

BassCliff, nixdad and Renaissance like this.