Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rename the Tab forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by paniak17, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Could you rename the Tab forum to,

"Sheet Music and Tablature Forum"

Because I don't know where to put my sheet music requests!

Thanks paul!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You could put them in Misc. - music-related!

3. What he said.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't think that's wise. Most sheet music is covered by copyright, and can not be reposted.

If you're looking to *buy* sheet music, there's always the "Wanted" forum.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Yes I think Paul has mentioned this in response to previous requests around here - so Sheet Music is subject to copyright and it would be seen that the forum was encouraging people to break the law - not good!!

Whereas Tab is so innaccurate it is not covered by copyright!! ;)

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    :eyebrow: No prizes for spotting the person who's not a Tab fan ;)

Wulf

7. I don't think all sheet music is covered by copyright as there is a lot of it available on the web for download ( Think Libster etc ) and I don't know how many times I've seen requests in the forums for links to sites where legal BASS NOTATION is available free. A Tab and Notated forum would be a perfect place to post such links. ( Maybe in a sticky )

I've also got handwritten notation sheets which I've penned myself, for various songs I've been asked to play in church. The reason that I went to the trouble of doing that is that I found the bass playing on the CD particularly interesting, but too much to remember off the cuff; so having it written out made playing the songs a lot easier. These are not complete song sheets, but my interpretation of the "main sections" of the songs and as such I don't think would be regarded any differently legally to the swag of tablature floating around the web.

I have often wanted to post these transcriptions for the benefit of other church bassists as there is usually little or no resources available for them, but not in a "tab" forum. :meh:

8. Here's an example:

Attached Files:

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Maybe it's worth setting up your own site to host these? I'd certainly be interested in seeing your approaches to some of the tunes which I know. If you haven't got the tools to run your own site, drop me a PM - I might be able to help.

Wulf

10. Thanks for your kind offer Wulf, but I doubt that I'd have the time or the expertise to run my own site. Great job you've done with your own one by the way, I enjoyed it.

Frankly though, I'm a bit surprised that more people aren't chipping in here - to encourage the submission of better resources for those of us who like to read notated music.

I read tab when it's all that's available, but given the choice I would much prefer to have notation for it's accuracy and ease of reading.... and if it's available freely and without violating copyright laws, then why not?
    Talkbass is where I like to spend most of my web browsing time, so it would be great to have most of the resources I need in the one place.

Must be more people into tab than I previously thought.

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I agree 100% with Bruce! I've yet to find any (even the simplest ) that's even close! :spit:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Well the point is that this has been suggested several times before and Paul has always said that it's not possible, due to copyright issues, so I don't think there's any point in pursuing it. I'd love to have free sheet music - although I think it's possibly incompatible with musicians getting paid for their work? - but as I say, it's been mentioned here before and Paul has said it's not possible.

13. Thanks for the reply Bruce. I wasn't aware of any previous threads requesting a notation forum and was just responding to the original post. But if Paul says it's impossible then I have no issue with it.

On the one hand I can understand Paul not wanting to risk getting involved in a quagmire of litigation for copyright violations, but on the other hand I do feel sorry for church bassists like my self, who have little or no notated resources available to them for the music they are called on to play.

Even big churches like Hillsong, who regularly put out albums with accompanying song books/charts, only provide for piano/guitar/melody type parts. This leaves the poor bass player with the task of working it all out by ear unless they are pro-efficent enough to come up with good bits of their own. Since I have NEVER in thirty years of playing seen a church chart with proper bass notation in it ( only piano bass ), I don't see how this can be called ripping the artist off, as the bass part has never been published in the first place.

I can see how such a forum would be open to abuse by people seeking copies of commercial music though. The moderators would probably be spending all their time removing illegal copywritten material from the forum!

Sorry this was so long, I'll let it rest now.