Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Renaud Garcia-Fons -- ARCOLUZ

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Good god! Fans of shredding double-bass, look OUT!

This is the first time I've heard RG-F and my jaw is still touching the space-bar. Is it over-the-top? Yes! Do I wanna do that? Yes! Will I do that in this lifetime? Well, no . . .

What's truly mind-boggling is that this is a live recording . . .

And as total gravy, it's on EMusic so it cost me all of $1.75 delivered straight to the computer.

Sorry. Can't type. Gotta listen again!

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
  3. He's touring scotland at the moment and the furthest south was somehwere in the north east - I was very tempted to do pilgramage - have any of the TB jocks been to any of his concerts I wonder?

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    RGF is highly regarded for his stellar technique. Reported to be as good and slick on stage as in his studio recordings. What rig ?

his bio on allmusic

5. I saw him twice in concert, he's just incredible.
    Sam, check out "Oriental Bass" and "Fuera". "Navigatore" was less inspired, I haven't heard his last album.

6. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    I was offered this last album, Arcoluz (light-bulb ? :cool: muy dive). It's a CD + DVD dual set, so you can see up-close how RGF does it. I must admit that (FWIW) this reconciles me with RGF, and draws me to try bend end-pins, crab-style left hand, and all that F Rabbath stuff. A really amazing slice of DB playing!

7. MixBass

MixBass Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Hey all,I'm new around here and appreciate all the info !
    RGF has a new cd "Entremundo" also, which is a wee bit stripped down from the Nav. and O.B. disc. There's also some great trade offs with the flamenco bass monster,Carlos Benevant, on a Nguyen Le cd "Bakida" .
    The magazine "Bassics" did an interview w/ him an issue or so ago and it's very cool.

8. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    He rocks and studied with Francois. The CD I have is amazing but there are others who possess similar magic - check out the MARKS bros.

9. Robert Kaye

Robert Kaye

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm the guy who wrote the cover story on RGF. What would you guys like to know about him? He's a friend of mine.

10. Robert Kaye

Robert Kaye

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm the writer who wrote the cover story on RGF for BASSICS magazine. What would you guys like to know about him? He's a friend of mine.

11. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Please, tell us more about him, he's pretty amazing.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This is the sort of "shredding" that actually sounds musical!

13. Robert Kaye

Robert Kaye

Jun 24, 2006
    What would you like to know? He plays a custom-built 5-string contrabasse made in France (see below). He has studied Classical, Jazz and Indian music; was a student of Francois Rabbath... He has won all sorts of awards during and post music school. RGF has several albums under his own name (some are duets, some are trios, some are 22-piece int'l orchestras, such as "Navigatore") plus has appeared as a session player on many others.

I was first introduced to him when I was writing for Bass Player Magazine on Flamenco Bassists back in 1998 or so. RGF did a duet album with Flamenco guitarist Pedro Soler where oftentimes, his arco contrabasse would emulate the Flamenco cantores. Here is a Selected Discography:

“Légendes” (ENJA, 1993) solo bass album

“Suite Andalouse” (AL SUR, 1994) with Flamenco guitarist Pedro Soler

“Alboreᔠ(ENJA, 1996) with accordionist Jean-Louis Matinier, bassist Yves Torchinsky and drummer Jacques Mahleux.

“Free Songs” (LABEL HOPI, 1996) with guitarist Gérard Marais.

Nguyên Lê’s’ “Three Trios” (ACT, 1997) with guitarist/composer/producer Nguyên Lê and percussionist Mino Cinelu.

“Oriental Bass” (ENJA, 1997) with 10-piece “international chamber ensemble” plus multi-tracked, 5-string contrabasse.

“Le Concert de Nanterre” (Al Sur, 1998) with Yusuf Bilgin, Pepe de Granada, Kudsi Erguner, Pedro Soler, Georges Kazazian, and Keyvan Chemirani

“Fuera” (ENJA, 1999) with accordionist Jean-Louis Matinier.

Nguyên Lê’s “Bakida” (ACT, 2000) with N. Lê and drummer/percussionist Tino di Geraldo (plus guests, electric bassist Carles Benavent, trumpeter Paolo Fresu, ney/flutist Kudsi Erguner and others).

“Jazzpana II” (ACT, 2000) with Flamenco/Jazz pianist Chano Dominguez and Flamenco guitarist Gerardo Nuñez (along with Nuevo Flamenco’s top-flight musicians – bass guitarist Carlos Benavent, sax/flutist Jorge Pardo, saxophonist Perico Sambeat, vocalist Esperanza Fernandez, and American jazzers saxophonist Michael Brecker, guitarist Fareed Haque and others).

“Acoustic Songs” (LABEL HOPI, 2000) with guitarist Gérard Marais.

“Navigatore” (ENJA, 2001) with a 22-piece “international chamber ensemble” plus multi-tracked, 5-string contrabasse.

Jean-Louis Matinier’s “Confluences” (ENJA, 2003) with stellar accordionist Matinier

“Entremundo” (ENJA, 2004) with Flamenco guitarist Antonio "Kiko" Ruiz and percussionist Jorge “Negrito” Trasante, with a 7-piece “international chamber ensemble” plus multi-tracked contrabasse.

"Arcoluz" (ENJA 2006) his above "Entremundo" trio recorded in concert; double DVD/CD package.

He also composed the film score to “Entre ciel et Terre” for Arte TV channel and collaborates with several dance companies. Last creation was “Ballet in Toulouse” for La Baraque Dance Company.

EQUIPMENT

Instruments: Custom-built, 5-string contrabasses by Jean Auray (Villefranche sue Saône, France)
    Strings: Thomastik- Infield Soloist and Weich
    Bow: French-style bows made by Augagneur-Bergeron (Lyon, France)
    Pick-Ups: Stephan Schertler (Switzerland)
    Amplifier: No amp right now, except stereo power amp requested on stage with two wedges (Bose or Tannoy)
    Small Mixer: Mackie or Beringher
    Special Effects: TC Multi-Effects G Force, Boss SE 70
    Hardware/Software: MacIntosh with ProTools and Cubase

What is just as amazing about this consummate artist is that not only is he argueably one of the best contrabassists on the planet, but he's an equally brilliant composer/arranger as well. Listen especially to "Oriental Bass" and "Navigatore," and you'll see what I mean. FYI: His new website should be online within the month. Look for it.

As mentioned, I wrote the cover story on him for BASSICS #38. You'll soon be able to purchase that back issue online at www.bassics.com.

I hope that helps.

14. That's what I thought when I first heard him last night! Incredible stuff. I really like the song Rosario from ENTREMUNDO

15. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    where can I find "Free Songs?" anybody know?

16. you can download ArcoLuz for free from emusic.com if you give them a credit-card number for a free trial.

17. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    "Free Songs" the album, I have bought and paid for all the others on the list, just hoping someone knows how to buy this album, the label hopi website is gone. Thanks.