1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Renaud Garcia Fons setup and his view on Jazz perceptions being limited re: Contrabasse?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by DrayMiles, Dec 23, 2016.

1. DrayMiles

DrayMiles

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Need Some help here guys...

I was looking at a concert in which Garcia-Fons was playing, and I noticed some peculiarities in regards to his setup. I don't know what the extension is at the end of his fingerboard is? I'm guessing it's a pickup, but what kind? Also, is that the Yamahiko pickup attached to his bridge?

Oh, and his comment at 11:53 ...

I've got to get opinions on that! ;)

Cheers,

D.

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    He is a true hero of the instrument. I think he puts his money where his mouth is. The traditional jazz view of the instrument is narrower than his work. I don't think anyone can say he hasn't expanded the the possibilities of the instrument.
    He did so in tonal music, also. Which is a much more difficult road than what the musicians in my area do. In my work, a sound can just be a sound and is judged by it's uniqueness not it's function in "normal" music, a sound in my work has more value the more it pushes the music into areas beyond normal music.

In his work the new ideas has to fit into an original music that is grounded in traditional pitch and rhythm - and he is still incredibly innovative.
    Also, he was a Rabbath student and while that makes sense when you see him play, his music sounds like his own and not Rabbath - one of the dangers of Rabbath for improvisors and bassists who write their own music is that it is so musical that it so often seeps into the work
    It just shows there is so much to do with this instrument and there lots of "white spots on the map".

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    He is an amazing voice on the instrument. What I love most about him is that he doesn't seem to care about boundaries, or being "hip", or anything but doing his own thing that comes naturally to him. For that reason and many others, he is a true inspiration to me.

The angles of the camera re not good to get a good look at the pickup situation, but usually a white wire in the vicinity of the bass adjuster would indicate a Full Circle pickup. I also saw a back wire in another shot but am not sure what it may have been attached to. As regards the end of the fingerboard, it may be a pickup, or it may only be an extension of the board. I don't see any wires coming off of it, but an artist of his caliber could probably afford for his luthier to build them in to make them more discreet.

DrayMiles and DC Bass like this.