1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Renaud Garcia-Fons

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by TheorboPlayer, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Hi,
    If you do not know this artist have à look at his masterful bow technique and musicality

Best regards
    Lino

ed morgan likes this.
  2. TalHaz

TalHaz Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Spring, TX
    MTD, Trickfish
    Thanks for the link, this guy is amazing!

3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Yep! A monster player. It illustrates what you can do with Rabbath technique and imagination.

4. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    He is great but I find his ideas a bit shallow after a while and a little predictable. Major wow factor but, after the shock, not that much substance. Makes me look like a wuss, though :)

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I think the youtube videos focus on that, but have you heard his larger group albums like Oriental Bass or Navigatore? I think there is a bit more depth to what his overall concept is.
    I'd love to see him live!

7. Oriental Bass is a very solid album and anything but shallow. One of those rare albums that's good all the way through.

There's barely anything flashy at all on Méditerrannées, and the slower tracks are especially beautiful. "La Demoiselle De Céret" is one of the nicest things I've ever heard on a bass -- hardly a showpiece; just a brief, simple line with a touch of heartfelt inflection.

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is good to see Yoshi's is STILL not listing the band members!

9. I saw him tonight at Yoshi's in SF. Truly amazing.

8epysu6e.

10. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yoshi's didn't list the band members because Renaud played a solo show. Just him, two bows, a Boss RC-50 Loop Station, and a whole lot of musicality.

11. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Nice!

12. TalHaz

TalHaz Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Spring, TX
    MTD, Trickfish
    Amazing bassist!

13. Just learned about this guy. I'd never seen flamenco style played on a bass,let alone an upright bass,and a 5 string at that.

14. This is what got me. Along with my love of bass, I've begun to play a lot of traditional African music and this tune just blows me away. He combines the sounds of the Mbira of the Shona and the Gyil of the Lobi, certain rhythmic patters that are part of the Ewe drumming tradition, and his arco wizardry with African songs. Such an amazing performance.

ed morgan likes this.
  15. I agree! He is awesome.