Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

RENEGADE!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Dec 7, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I have a NEW BASS bro's!
    I played the TOBIAS RENEGADE
    in a shop about a month or so ago, & couldn't shake it.
    So- I've had my Sterling for 4 years now, Love it, but change is Good (since I have limited funds & a Wife & a Kid, neither whom plays bass BTW).
    Anyway I made a trade, with the guy giving me the option of trading back. Played the Renegade on the R&B gig last night!
    Awesome- weighs 7.5 lbs, Bartolinis, TC-7 pre,
    great shape, neck feel, & vibe.
    I had the sound on the MM dialed in, and the new EQ takes some tweaking, as well as the bass having a different feel, but change is good!
    I still have to have the axe set up, as I like a low action, and may even have the Tobias bridge changed to a black Bad-Ass II which I love-we'll see.
    The Sterling is a better slapper I think, but the Renny is no slouch, & once my "style" & attack adapt, no worries. I really dug playing the axe.
    So congrats to me, here's a pic, same look except mines an "old-school" 4-string.
    Cheers!

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    very nice...I want one too!:D

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks, TX-
    I wish I could have 'em all my own self!!!
    There's about...oh. I'd say 50 or so axes on my wish list!:D

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    this sums up my situation! I have a long list too...I just keep "chipping away" at it as I can. Infact just this AM, I was told I needed to find some more room in the house for these "guitar things that keep growing"...:rolleyes:

5. Awesome bass, Larry. Great neck, too: asymmetric, with a much thicker bass side than that found on, say, an MTD Kingston.

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Thanks Pete, it really is a great tight axe.
    The neck radius and pickup placements mandate that I adopt a new attack/approach to fingering & slapping & such, very different than the Sterling.
    But the lighter weight & more compact size are good changes as well as the Tobias having a, well,
    tighter kind of feel, at least different than the way my MM was set up.
    Change is Good!
    I wouldn't mind my Sterling as a back-up, along with my '69 P-Bass, AND I'd like to add a BassLabs
    "Soul" Whooosh!
    Then I MAY be done!~
    But for now...
    RENEGADE!:cool:

7. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    (Bump)
    Here's a better picture, for those who have been too shy to raise their glasses in a toast to my new addition!:D

This bass is so much FUN!!!
    P.S.:
    I CANNOT understand why my wife says:
    "Yes, honey, it's very pretty." ...
    And then goes about her business like the world has not changed!!! Man, go figure!
    "Pretty?" I mean, yes it IS "pretty" but...but...
    Ah, YOU GUYS know what I mean!!

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hey, a new bass is a good reason for a toast!

Congrats! Looks great! Consider my glass raised and emptied! :p

And I'll have another glass to celebrate this my 900th post as well...

9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    SKOAL!!
    Thanks Anders, & congrats on you 900th post-
    100 more to reach the "milestone"
    Glad to be a part of the process!;)

10. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    how mcuh will it cost??

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very sweet bass, indeed. Is that a pre or post-Gibson Tobias?

12. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Beautiful bass (lifting glass in a toast). :D

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Gentlemen, thank you for the "bumps" and the toasts!!
    Now that I've had & played this work of art for a couple of weeks...
    It is a Gibson Tobias, made in Nashville, I believe they were made from 1998-??? (The Tobias premium
    line by Gibson is no more!! There is MTD, the "real"
    Tobias basses, with both super-high end USA axes and mid-level offshore models, and "Toby" which I believe are kinda, well...better left unsaid I guess).
    This one is a beaut, though. Although it was the "entry level" model of the Gibson/Tobias prestiege line, it rocks! The wood(s) the neck, the Barttolini electronics, the hardware, the playability, and the SOUND!!!
    It took quite a bit of adaption to play this instrument the way I want to; it is way different in size and feel than my Sterling was. But, I am now really getting into the feel, the action, etc. and I am loving it! It's such a TIGHT axe- it growls and can be smooth as silk as well. I've learned the nuances of dialing in the Bart pups w/ the blend control, and using both the mid contour as well as the coil toggle switch. What Big Fun! Still want to have the axe set up, (dual) truss rods adjusted and maybe even have a look-see at the trim pot for mids in the cavity.
    So- In short, I am loving it, thanks again. I gave up my MINT sunburst Sterling fretted 4/maple neck & $300 bucks for this Tobias-with the "market" of a MM being around $800 & the Renegade listing for around $1500 back in '98, it's up in the air whether
    I made a "good deal" or not- I will say that I hope to replace my Sterling (I saw a beeyootiful green transparent/maple one!!) sometime, BUT they do not make Renegades anymore, & when I held & played this one, I knew I hadda get it NOW!!
    So-No regrets-Change is Good!
    Merry Xmas, everyone-Here's another close-up!!
    (jeesh, like some people with their grandkids, huh?:D
    -Larry J

14. thegroovemaster

thegroovemaster Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I luv it, LarryJ banned and now getz a "Renegade" bass, lol - Have fun & welcome to the Renegade fam! - I really dig mine, scoping the landscape for a nice Rene5er as well...