1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Renew The bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cliffbass, Oct 25, 2009.

1. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    Hello again ... I am asking a way,how to renew my bass strings, etc

Is boiling good? Also i heard that you use a product called denatured alcohol .... it is working? and if yes how?

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
  3. HMMM search links don't appear to be working

4. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    wrong no results on both searches

5. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Ummm, or you could just use the search engine on your own and type in "Boiling" or "Alcohol"... lol

I was able to come up with some threads, you might have to go a page or two, but they are there.

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Best way to renew them is to spend the $16 on a new set!

7. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    well no in my country strings are about 50$ cheapest...

8. I think the best way to renew them is to wipe them down with a cloth and keep playing them. Most of the strings on my basses (rounds and flats) are 5 years old or more.

This are many, many bass players who never change strings - they prefer the sound of well broken-in strings.

9. jschwalls

jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    best way to clean strings is to submerge them in De-natured alcohol. I used to do this way back..

I got a 1 1/2" pvc tube about 4 feet long and put a cap on one end and sealed it.. the other I installed a screw on end with a hook on the inside for hanging strings and the outside for hanging the tube...

I would fill the tube with de-natured alcohol and straighten my strings as much as possible and put them in the tube, hang it in the closet for a few days and then re-install them on my bass.. worked great..
    just a thought.

10. agplate

agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    Arizona
    Alcohol is good- though I just used a jar with it, no tubes, etc.
    However, I find boiling to be just as effective and easier.

That said, I now use Elixir Strings and not worry about it. They do last a long time.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good lord :(

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I use a Mason jar filled with denatured alcohol. Soak them overnight and you're done. After cleaning 4 or 5 sets I poured the last batch through a paper coffee filter. There is a lot of crap that builds up!

13. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    i want to ask how to do it my english sux a bit so i get a jar i put into denatured alcohol i drop the strings in it sealed and after 14-24 hours i put em out and i clean em ?

14. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Yes, the alcohol cleans the strings, once they come out they just need drying and putting back on.

In your country the alcohol may be called Methylated spirits (as it is in mine), which is the same as denatured alcohol (which they call it in the US), but you want the clear stuff, not the purple.

The alternative is boiling, which may be easier if you cant get the Meths. I have boiled strings before and it has worked great.

Whether you use the alcohol or boiling, there will be a limit to how many times you can clean them. People advise against boiling sometimes as it can be "bad" for the string. I don't think this point is very valid as whatever you use, eventually you will need a new set. So for me (when I cant get new strings) boiling is the most convenient. To do this I fill a large pan with hot water, then bring it to the boil and add a small amount of disinfectant (this isnt 100% necessary, it just seemed like a good idea to me; I used DETOL) and a tiny bit of washing up liquid for around 30-45 minutes. Let them dry, (you can use a hairdrier), and put them back on.

Good luck

15. cliffbass

cliffbass

Aug 10, 2009
    cliffbass
    i am from greece and i don't know how the **** denatured alcohol called here in greece

16. I recommend boiling them, as Meatrus does, but with a touch of vinegar in the water. However, afterwards I recommend a vigorous towel drying to get the debris from between the string windings.

Methylated Spirits = Methyl Alcohol = Wood Alcohol (U.S.) = μεθυλική αλκοόλη (Greek)

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I boiled them once a very long time ago. It did clean them up, but restringing is the hard part. You have to be careful not to break the string tip and such. Otherwise it is a good trick for a temporary fix

18. isopropyl alcohol works better, though it is difficult to obtain in many countries. use 92% or higher, not the 70%

19. BargeOn

BargeOn

Mar 19, 2004
    CNY
    Yep. Just a little regular care.
    In addition to just a clean cloth, I occasionally slide a thin pice of flexible plastic over the fretboard, under the strings and wipe them with a cloth dampened with some alcohol. -- That suff you used to use to clean CDs with works.

And a set of TIs will probably outlast many others in any case. That extra cost buys you years of play.

Boiling is OK it's just a pain, doesn't add that much life and it frays the silk.

20. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Whatever method you use it's only a very temporary fix. They wont sound quite as good as new and they will go dead again in a few weeks.