Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reno police classify 'Straight Edge' as a gang

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Against Will, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Okay, I'll be one of the first to admit that straight edge kids can be really annoying and stupid at times. But a lot of my friends are straight edge (like old school hxc, Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits etc.) and I like a lot of Straight Edge music as well. This is really a bad step for the authorities because the hardliners are a serious minority in the Straight Edge community, just like the boneheads in the Skinhead movement and the one-percenters with bikers.

I don't see why otherwise solid kids should be hassled by police just because their groups of friends decided to call themselves a 'crew'. What's going to separate these groups from the groups of hardliners that go around beating people up with bats and chains?

2. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    See, it's the mindless, tough guy, hardliners that give the rest of us SXE people a bad name. I've never been about violence and repression of people who don't think like I do. You live your way, and I'll live mine. Straight Edge is for me. These guys are just as bad and the nazi boneheads who ruined the skinhead scene with their extreme politics.

a**holes.......

STRAIGHT EDGE IS NOT ABOUT VIOLENCE!

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    User edit : nevermind.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Gee, that's funny.

I know a lot of sXe and vegan SE guys who are complete thugs. The ones I'm friends with are really nice, but they're prone to owning guns, knives, other weapons and are not slow to fighting.

Yes, it's definitely not all of them, but I've been around that scene since the late 80's, and have seen enough to think that while over-reacting, the Reno cops are not being completely ridiculous.

I've seen some straight edge street violence that's as bad as any gang stuff.

ERIC31 has the right attitude, but there are very many who don't.

5. Fundamentalists of all stripes are dangerous beasts. Straight edge, Skinheads, Muslim extremists, Christian Identity, Nazis, Fundie Christians, the list goes on and on.

Once your beliefs become "Truth", and "truth" becomes more important than people's right to follow their own beliefs, trouble inevitably follows. Sooner or later, some knuckleheads decide that things would be "better" if everyone believes as they do, and some of those get tired of trying to convince everyone else they're right, and decide if we just beat up enough of "those" people, they'll convert, and we can kill the rest who won't. Problem solved.

The only thing I cannot tolerate is intolerance.

Randy

6. Right on!

It's that religious fervor.

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Please
    There not having any fun. What else are they going to do with there time?

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I used to think sXe is cool but then I realised it's retarded. What's the point of drawing X's on your hands and labelling yourself as somone who doesnt drink have sex or do drugs, why not just not dirnk have sex or do drugs....

9. I think as long as you strive to improve yourself, that's always admirable. Whatever path you choose, whatever evils you avoid, great. If you think painting yourself yellow helps, knock yourself out. Really, have at it. And by all means, feel free to try to persuade others of the validity of your approach.

But when you start using force of arms to "persuade" others, you have stopped improving yourself and transformed yourself into an evil that far outweighs all the "evils" your philosophy is attempting to rid humanity of.

Randy

10. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    You hit that one right on man, couldnt have said it better myself.

Psh, you should come hang out with me sometime, you dont have to be drunk or high to blow stuff up. :smug:

I dont know about other people, but the reason I x up at shows is because its just a unity feeling, and it makes me feel proud for some reason.

Im straight edge, but a lot of my friends arent. Why should I care? Often times we'll just hang out and bar-b-que, some dudes will drink beer and some dudes will drink sprite, but were all having fun in the end and thats really all that matters. Plus, my friends say some really funny stuff when theyre drunk, haha.

11. (my bolding)Disagree.

Mike

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    BEING HASSLED BY POLICE? ARE YOU SMOKING CRACK? Did you read the stuff they are doing? I don't care if they are against smoking drinking and sex, if they act like they are purported to above, they are a gang, and they deserve all the "harrasment" they get.

13. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    "Police also say because they come from more affluent families, they've got the technology - like cell phones and computers - to organize rapidly."

:eek: UH OH!

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I can personally attest that this is nothing new, and not confined to Reno either. I was a member of a millitant straightedge group in High School and most definately can see where the "gang" judgement is coming from.

I will say nothing more because you never know who's watching online, but suffice it to say that I did a few things I am not proud of because I thought what I belived was the "truth" :scowl:

15. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Read my post again.

Those are the hardliners, not ALL kids who are straight edge are hardliners, as I thought I made clear. The hardliners deserve any trouble with the police they get, but line up a hardliner with a typical straight edge kid and what's the difference? You don't think it's counterproductive for police to be stopping, questioning and hassling regular kids while the hardliners are across town beating up some kid for 'breaking his edge'?

16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Not music related, sent to off topic.

17. While I can see both sides of this issue with a fair bit of clarity, this statement makes the assumption that if the police weren't questioning regular kids, that they would automatically know where the hardliners were and what they were up to.

I'm too lazy to check, but if I were a betting man, I'd say this classification was made to make it a step easier to investigate and prosecute those that do commit crimes.

Mike

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    +1

19. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Question: Can a Straight Edge person engage in meaningful sex? By that I mean sex between two partners that love eachother, etc... Are Straight Edgers against all forms of sex (pre-marital I presume?) or just the swinging/one night stand type? I'm definetely Straight Edge in terms of being very against drinking/drugs, but I can't say I agree with the anti-sex thing. I just don't believe in meaningless sex for pleasure, friends with benefits, etc.

20. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    promiscuous sex. meaning meaningless sex, ie" one night stands.