Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Renovating a squier...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sloth_Adelphi, Oct 23, 2005.

1. my goal is to take the first bass i ever owned, a squier p-bass, and completely gut it and renovate it. I want new pickups and I want it to sound as gritty and "vintage" as possible, so I was thinking maybe 62'ish P-bass pickups or something along those lines, any suggestions? also, will stripping the paint and leaving it with a natural finish effect the sound negatively?

2. jwymore

jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The Fender 62 P-Bass pickups or the Duncan Vintage for P-Bass are both good sounding vintage pickups that don't cost too much. Also be sure to upgrade the pots, jack and capacitor to something better quality. It will help your tone a bit and make your bass more reliable. A nice three ply pickguard versus the solid white also spiffs things up a bit.

Stripping the paint and doing a natural finish won't affect tone in a negative way but you may find the wood used in the low cost Squier is not very nice to look at and it may even be plyed construction.

As an alternative you might want to re-finish in a solid color. The attached photo is a Squier strat I updated for my son. That's Guitar Re-ranch Lake Placid Blue and a Fender gold anodized pickguard. I also did new wiring and found some USA Fender pickups for $10.00 to drop in there. Total cost of the upgrade was about $50.00 and it was like a whole new guitar!!

[​IMG]