Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rent to own price ranges

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by fatjbass, Nov 12, 2004.

1. fatjbass

fatjbass

May 29, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Does anyone know typical rent to own price ranges? Also, does anyone know of any good shops for double basses in Portland, Oregon? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have you looked at the Bob G.'s doublebass directory? Go to www.urbbob.com and look around for it... there should be someone in Portland that can help you.

Be careful about rent-to-own instruments. They are often very low-end instruments (cremona, skylark, etc.) that aren't worth owning, but renting a few months to decide if you are into upright bass is a good idea.

3. I don't know about Oregon, but be careful where you rent from. Where I am in Rochester, NY, the bass shop in the 'burbs rented me a nice plywood (Samuel Shen) for 30 a month, and a really nice hybrid (another Shen) for 45. When I went home this summer, I tried to rent a bass in Massachusetts, and the only place I could find wanted 75 per month for a really bad czech plywood (poor tone, painted over the varnish to hide finish problems, coathanger tailwire, etc). There was also pressure to buy a bass rather than own. Call ahead, do your research using Bob's directory, and make sure you find a good shop. Just for the record, if I can scrounge together enough money, I'd buy from the shop I'm renting from now because they've treated me really well and have quality instruments.

Good luck!

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area so everything seems to cost more here but I'm paying around $130 per month for a Chinese fully carved bass. It's not that great of a bass - I was considering buying it at first but after playing some other instruments priced slightly higher than what the rental shop is asking for this bass I've decided not to buy it. They're asking for $3500 for the bass and I can apply up to 6 months of the rent I've paid towards the purchase of the bass. I understand this is a pretty common arrangement for a rent-on-the-option-to-buy deal.

Good luck with the hunt.

-Scot

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It is common to inflate the sticker price of basses in rental shops. By the time you apply your "credit" to the purchase, the sticker price has been "knocked down" to a range that is comparable with other new basses. Customers think that they are getting a deal, when in fact sticker prices can be as much as %300 marked up.