1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Rental Bass in Raleigh, NC for IBMA World of Bluegrass?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Lenny Nichols, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Lenny Nichols

Lenny Nichols Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    I don't have a travel bass and I don't really have 4+ days to spend driving to Raleigh from central Texas. Does anyone know if someone rents basses during IBMA's World of Bluegrass in September?

Thanks, Lenny

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
  3. rickwolff

rickwolff SOLD For Sale: Headway EDB-2 HE $260 Supporting Member

Winoman and JonnyFishbone like this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    If you are desperate you can get a student level instrument from Music & Arts, they have locations in NC. They may do professional rentals for all i know, but i kind of doubt it.

5. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    There’s also the Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro.

6. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Every bass, every Air BNB, and every uber for 500 miles will be booked up for that weekend!

Charlie Chadwick will likely be there that weekend and may be able to help you. I have some, but Asheville is about 4 hours away.

7. Hope you have accommodations.
    Family tried to book a room for that weekend 6 months in advance and couldn't find anything in Raleigh.
    They're also a little "upscale".
    FYI Not sure of you've been there before, most of the events or attractions are within walking distance of each other.
    There is public parking garages next to it and within blocks of the event
    There are some free shuttles, trolly type vehicles, and peddle-power fee based rides

8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Where are there accommodations for RVs?

9. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Thanks, James! I saw that you are about 4 hours away. An 8 hr round trip (twice) is not something I want to do. I would love to visit your shop and talk about having you put a more standard sized neck on my '51 American Standard, but likely will not have time during this trip.

I do have lodging accommodations already. Been thinking about one of Charlie's basses for a while. I'll check with him. I also ran into a friend at Old Settler's Music Fest yesterday, that may be renting an RV to drive to Raleigh. He may be able to take my bass there for me. Thanks, James and everyone else. -Lenny

dhergert and Adam Booker like this.
  10. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I can tell you, that based on years of calling on clients in Raleigh/Cary area, campgrounds are not plentiful in the area. And IBMA is held downtown.
    They used to allow camping at the state fairgrounds, but that is nowhere near downtown. There are also a few state parks, but again, not near downtown.

dhergert likes this.
  11. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    If you're truly desperate ya can use my backup, it ain't great but it's a bass.

12. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Thanks. I'll hang on to this thread and see what happens. I'm hoping my friend will be able to bring mine in his RV.

JonnyFishbone likes this.
  13. Post where you'll be jamming so others might join!

14. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings, Aguilar Amplifiers
    There is some RV parking near the convention center. You should be able to find more information at ibma.org, or by contacting the office directly.

dhergert likes this.
  15. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Hey gang, I don't know of any bass rentals in the Raleigh area, but I do usually know quite a bit about what's going on at the conference and beyond. If you have questions I can help with, please don't hesitate to tag me in a post. Please keep it public, in case someone else might have the same question.

dhergert and JonnyFishbone like this.
  16. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    Hey, Jeremy. I saw your set at Old Settler's Music Festival near Austin last week. You guys were great! My favorite show of the day. My only day there this year. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hi.

Lenny Nichols

17. Lenny Nichols

Apr 20, 2014
    Round Rock, Texas
    None
    I may have made a mistake... but I'll be on one of the "Jamming" floors at the Sheraton. Arriving Monday and I plan to stay for the whole conference.

JonnyFishbone likes this.
  18. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thanks for the kind words, Lenny, I'm glad you enjoyed it! We had a great time there.

19. gallcox

gallcox

Apr 15, 2017
    NC
    Contact Bob Veerman at Bass Violin Shop in Greensboro , great folks . I live in Greensboro and would be glad to bring it over to you , I'll be there at IBMA during the week

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021