1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rental bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dicey, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Dicey

Dicey

Oct 22, 2012
    Hello all double bassers! I am interested in joining the double bass world. I currently play bass guitar (and love every minute of it), but I think I am going to rent an upright sometime soon. There is a shop downtown that rents them, and I am going to check it out tomorrow (hopefully). I was wondering what some good questions to ask would be. I already was thinking I would rent a cheap ply bass, for practical reasons. Are cases and bows usually included with a rental? What strings should it come with? What is a fair price for an entry level ply bass? This is a small city by the way, only one place I know of for bass rentals. What will I need to purchase to go with the bass (ie rosin)?

2. Dicey

Dicey

Oct 22, 2012
    Update: I went down to the shop, only to find out that they no longer rent basses. They did, however, refer me to another local shop that does rent basses. Due to time constraints, I was unable to visit this shop. I visited their website. It seems to be oriented more towards students. When I called, the lady who answered thought they rented eastman basses (model unkonown), and maybe a few other random ones. Their rates are $65 per month for all basses. Does anyone have any experience with eastman's quality? Does this seem like a good place to rent from?

3. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Feb 9, 2009
    Post your location and the name of the shop... It's a little hard to tell you if a place is reliable if no one knows where you're talking about.

4. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Your new teacher will be able to find you a proper bass. To learn the bass, first you find the teacher.