Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rental car for DB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Big Sven, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Big Sven

Big Sven

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm trying to figure out what kind of US rental sedan will accommodate a 3/4 size double bass (in a bag, not a flight case, thankfully). My knowledge of contemporary car models is sketchy at best, but from looking at the Pontiac website it seems that a Grand Prix has fold-down rear seats that might do it.
    Anyone had any experience with this? Hoping to avoid the extra expense (roughly twice as much) for a minivan.

thanks

2. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I had your same problem when my Blazer was Tboned. Believe it or not, I fit my 3/4 in a Cavalier! Folded the passenger seat down, and layed across diagonal wise. I also had to fit it in a Grand Am the same way.

3. I have a Toyota Corolla Wagon. My ¾ size double-bass fits in as follows:

1) slide the passenger seat as far forward as it will go
    2) remove head-rest from passenger seat
    3) recline passenger seat as far down as it will go
    4) slide bass in through passenger door, end-pin first, so that the bass lays on its back with the end-pin pointing to the back of the car, and the neck and scroll are in the passenger footwell.
    5) make sure that the neck and scroll aren't touching anything - so the bass is resting with only its back touching the seat.
    6) fit passenger seat-belt around the bass… "CLUNK CLICK! - Every Trip!"

The bass will fit in to a Toyota Corolla Sedan, and also a Honda Civic in exactly the same way.

There are other threads about this (with pictures!) - try using "search", with Wil Davis as the user, and Toyota Corolla as the search items…

Good Luck!

- Wil

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    thanks, i was going to start a thread like this.

:)

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Thrifty and Dollar also rent the PT Cruiser, which is an easy fit if you tumble at least one of the back seats ALL the way forward. It's an OK fit if all you do is fold both back seats down, but the tumble gets you more flat surface space.

They got a deal with Daimler Chrysler (it would seem) and also rent the Pacifica and the Magnum wagon.

Other things to look for as rentals are
    Hyundai Elantra HATCHBACK
    Ford Focus hatchback or wagon
    Toyota Matrix (so far I've only seen these through ZipCar)

I've gotten my bass in a Cirrus/Stratus, but it ain't real passenger friendly and it's not as easy as sliding it right in tha back of a wagon or hatchback.

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Subaru Forester is good (I own one and have rented 'em too). There seems to be a lot of rented Ford Escapes on the road out here lately, as well.

7. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I asked the guy at Enterprise to find a bass-friendly vehicle and it was the PT Cruiser. Back seats down. Have 5/8 bass so using the front seat down was optional as there was enough room. Great bass vehicle and the back is low making it even easier to get the bass in and out. Was difficult saying goodbye at the end of rental period but my Toyota Matrix is another perfect bass vehicle.