1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rental instruments. why are they always so smelly?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Sep 10, 2008.

1. i got a rental trombone to get me thru the semester or until i can replace or recover the stolen one. this thing has a funk about it(not the good kind) and i cannot clean it out until i replace the cleaning tools that were in the case of the stolen horn.:meh: i hope i don't catch anything from this. i still might hurl though.[​IMG]

2. Twinxkel

Twinxkel

Apr 16, 2007
    You're kissing everyone that trombone has ever been with.

Maybe you should have it consent to an HIV test (you know, "Herpes In Valves") before you swap spit?

3. hopefully at least one of them is a chick.:eek:

luckily the mouthpiece is new. :)

4. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    because people do terrible things to those instruments.

terrible..things..

5. Anyone ever see that guy who could play the trombone with his butt?

I'll bet that was a rental!

6. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Go get a Kanstul done :p I do think it's just the chemicals they use to "clean". Probably perfectly sanitized just not nice smelling.

7. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    Hope that it hasn't been taken to a bandcamp by anyone...

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    How do you like the Trombone Jonathan? Have you ever heard of Rico Rodriguez? Dub style Trombone. Sweet stuff. Check out his Roots to The Bone album.

9. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    I bet it was Jive or Maki. and thats probally the trombone you got.

10. i love the trombone, well not the rental, it is actually starting to pay the bills.:) lots of gigs this fall:hyper:

ill have to check that album out.

on a positive note i got my trombone back from those thieving bastards who stole it. they tried to sell it to the store i bought it from and were caught red handed:D they did a little damage to the slide. :(i will have to wait until a weekend without gigs to get fixed.:meh:

11. i worked as a cleaner for a company specializing in distributing musical instruments (on clarinets and flutes tho so i can't say anything for your bone :)), but generally its' just the crappy care of the prior student who then let it sit for three months.

12. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    As long as the trombone isn't rusty

:bag:

13. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    Smokers:atoz:

14. no, it smelled more like crayon wax to me.

15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I worked at a music store a while back that two great brass and woodwind repair guys, and they had a contract with a lot of the schools to repair their student rentals. I remember once when they got a tuba in, and somebody dropped a big deuce in it. It had to have been like three different people's poo, because I don't think one person could be capable of what was in that tuba.

16. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    What kind of trombone did you rent, what kind did you get back from being stolen? Right now I have a Bach 16, Bach 36, Kanstul 760. Looking into getting a 88h or a non trigger version of the 760.

17. wow! you it back! great:)

18. the rental was a POS yamaha ysl 642. the trombone i got back is an Eastman ETB432G. they are a fairly new brand to brass instruments, basically a authorized copy of shires. aside from a crappy job with the lacquer i am happy with this horn. .547, bore rotary f attachment, gold brass bell, nickel accents a real beauty.:)

i really dig the Kanstul 1550 but i have no money.

[​IMG]

my birthday is next month;):ninja: