Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rental URB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Big K, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I am a newbie and have a rental bass I rented from Brooks May music company. They said it is an intermediate bass. It was made by Karl Reiser. I was wondering if it is a good URB and if anyone knows much about them. It sounds okay to me. I bought a bassmax pickup from Bob Gollihur and I am trying to tweak it to get a good sound. Let me know if anyone thinks it is a good bass. It is possible that I could buy it with my rental $ applied toward the purchase of it. I am also considering either the Englehart EC-1 or ES-9 to purchase. Just would like to have a good opinion on this rental bass. It goes for a little more than the Engleharts. There are not too many URB players in my area in Charleston SC. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    It is no more likely that Herr Reiser made your bass than it is that Henry Ford made your truck. But that doesn't mean it's good or bad.

If you feel you're not able to evaluate it yourself yet, than a) bravo for asking for help; b) bring it to a luthier for evaluation; and c) the frequest refrain around here, "What Does Your Teacher Say?"

If you don't have a teacher, contact the Charlston Symphony Orchestra at http://www.charlestonsymphony.com/bigset.php?T=home

Good luck, hombre, and c'mon back.

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    Big K,
    My 2-cents worth is as follows. Don't be in any big hurry to buy. Renting for a while is a great thing. Playing and listening to the tone of your rental is a great reference point for you when you are out and about playing any and every other bass you can get your hands on.

Take your time and get educated as you go along. In my humble opinion, this forum in particular, is the best source of information outside of playing the instuments yourself and the advice of your local luthier.

Caution however . . . DB is highly addictive.

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I almost forgot my corny joke . . .

Keep working on your chops and you'll soon become known as "Special K". ;)

5. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    The typical BMMC Karl Reiser is a ply from Srilanka (sp). I think Reiser maybe BMMC's own label. I don't know who imports them. Yours should have some indication of where it was made.

My mother-inlaw rented a 1/2 size Reiser for a year to learn to play bluegrass. It was OK. The setup is very important. Her's wasn't bad. She has since bought a 1950's Kay.

BMMC may allow you to apply your rental payments to the purchase of a step-up (better) bass. When you are ready to purchase, you may also want to check out their German plys and Romainan (sp) carved basses.

I would however avoid their Korean plys. One of my wife's orchestra director friends had the neck come off a Korean ply bass at her school. I saw the bass, and I didn't see any signs of bass abuse by the kids.

6. Big K

Big K

Mar 3, 2004
    Summerville SC
    I appreciate all the help I can get. I think this rental will do me for a while. At least until I can get out and try out a bunch of other URBs. Unfortunately, they put the sticker with the serial and model numbers over the "Made in..." label inside this rental bass. I didn't really know if it was made in China or Iraq. The music store didn't even know. There are only like 2 stores that I am aware of in the Charleston SC area that sell URBs. One guy has only crappy Cremonas. The other guy had a nice Strunal 50/4 and he was a little helpful but it was the only one he had and he was asking retail. I am also trying to find a good teacher. I only know how to play by ear but get a good bit of practice with my cousin like twice a week. Thanks for the Charleston Orchestra suggestion. I am waiting to hear back from them. Thank you all so much for helping a true newbie. :)

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Big K,
    You're right, there aren't any real bass shops right in your neighborhood that I know of, but if you're in a driving mood when buying time comes around, you can check out Donley Violins in Charlotte, Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain NC, the Bass Violin Shop (Bob Beerman's place) in Greensboro, or Ron Sachs in Atlanta.
    Good luck to ya!
    John