Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rental vrs Purchase Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruce Sproston, Jun 27, 2005.

1. At 61 and retired, after many years of procrastination I've started taking bass guitar lessons. I'm renting a Samick Corsair "Greg Bennett Design" bass (retailing at $ 285 Cdn) and a 30 watt Mega GL30B amp (retailing at $ 175 Cdn). I saw a really nice Austin Eclipse Pro 4 bass (retailling at $ 550 Cdn) and 60 watt Fender Rumble bass amp (retailing at $ 309 Cdn). I'd appreciate any feedback on these Austin & Fender products and if there are any better choices. Although 3 months of the rental pmts can be applied to the purchase price of any bass or amp in the store, the selection is limited (low end products) and the prices appear inflated.

2. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    I have a Fender Rumble 60, and I think it has very good tone for the price - I paid 19,000 Yen (CDN$230) in a used goods shop. I like the 4-band EQ and find the controls very responsive. If you are using it only for practice, then it may well fill your needs; however, live performing would probably exceed its limits.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a Mexican Fender Jazz Bass if you can.