1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rented a Traynor TC-810 and TBA-200 for tomorrow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jason the fox, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    OOOPS - that should say "YBA-200" - I can't edit the title though. Mods?

Doing a decent sized outdoor gig tomorrow night, and I wanted to make sure I've got lots of sound to work with. Of course there will be a big PA, and the soundman is great (I've worked with him before), but I figured it'd be nice to get some extra beef on stage too. And it looks cool.

My own amps and cabinets are fine, but my biggest cab right now is an SVT 410he. Not as impressive visually. I also wanted to try out an 810 rig, because I'm considering buying. Figured this is the best way to try one out, as opposed to just fooling with one in the store.

Looking forward to it. Gonna play with it a bit tonight and find out what kind of sounds I can get out of it. Would have loved to have gotten the YBA-300, but they only had the 200 in stock. I should still have plenty of volume with this set up. I've read some really good things about the TC-810 too.

Thoughts? Anyone here use any of the newer Traynor gear? I've also got the TC210, which I tend to use to smaller gigs.

2. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the amp since I've been interested in getting on.

3. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    YBA-200s are awesome, but a bit on the weaker side, and shy in comparison to the YBA-300 (a monster). You should be fine with an 810, but be sure to boost the mids a bit. As with most Traynor tube heads, don't be afraid to crank them, they sound best when pushed hard.

4. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls. Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

I hope they're only weak compared to beasts like the SVT CL or YBA-300 lol.

I read that a lot of people feel like it's underpowered though, and that it tends to break up/distort earlier than you'd expect.

I usually play an Ampeg SVT3-pro, I'd like to assume thte YBA-200 has at least as much guts.