Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rep of RMS, and suggestions of what else to buy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sundance, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I'm looking for an amp, probably 15", with more than 220 watts and less than $250 total. Going for a good low sound, but not totally extreme. I mostly play a fretless, to give you some idea of the tone I'm with. Shopped around ebay and found some decent things, the thing that hits me most is this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10171&item=3739429099&rd=1 . I usually try to avoid vendors on ebay but his prices look really sweet. Does anyone have experience with RMS compared to others? Mostly I'm limited now to a Peavey Basic 112, I want something that will make enough noise for outdoor gigs at least. The Basic is just barely enough for me to be decently heard during practices. I also saw a Peavey TNT 115 for under $100 and it sounded like a nice price, but if it's not much of an upgrade from the Basic then I don't want to bother with it. I want something I'll be able to keep, even after I get more $ available and can get more speakers. Used is fine, cabs might be good even to force me to get a head now (if I can find a decent one with the money I have left over from the cab), hence the above link. If anyone has information that might dismiss that, though, or think that the RMS will be overshadowed by higher priced cabs, please tell me. Same goes with the TNT. Thanks.

PS Ermmm, I GUESS I could go up to $300 if it involved seperate cab and head.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot that another option I havve is to try and assemble/get one assembled for me. A guy in my area offered a Fender PS 15B woofer and a Gauss 15" woofer with (or without) seperate cabinets for $50 each. I have NO idea how much work and supplies it would take to assemble a speaker with cabinet though, and have very little experience with electronics assembly. I live near Baltimore though so I could probably find someone around to hook me up, but again if it's not going to be worth the price to assemble or is just going to sound like crap anyway then I'd rather not bother. Time is something I have more of though, especially if the time is someone elses to assemble for me :) I don't really need it any time too soon, but probably within the next month or so would be good.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    RMS is not the brand name. The seller is stating that the cabinet is a 300 Watt RMS cabinet. RMS is a rating method. It's short for Root Mean Square. It is most like but not exactly like continous power rating.

That cabinet is a no name brand that some dude in his garage is building. It may be good, decent or awful. There's no way to know until you plug it up and listen.

Remember, it's just a cabinet. No amplifier. So after buying that and shipping, you have $130 to try to buy a head or power amp/preamp. That's almost impossible.

Getting 220W or more in a combo or getting a head and cab for your budget is probably impossible in new equipment. Used maybe, but even then, it'll be a matter of waiting for the right opportunity.

Best advice I can offer is to keep saving until you have at least $400-500. You'll can then get something worth having.