1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

repainting a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Metalhead8590, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    is there anyway you could repaint a bass?
    or any shop that would do it for you?

2. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

No. It can't be done.

Once a bass (or any stringed instrument for that matter) leaves the factory it's stuck with that finish.

If you scratch or damage the paint your bass is useless and must be thrown in the trash.

:rolleyes:

3. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    If you don't want to do it yourself an auto body shop or cabinet shop might be able to do it.

4. are you trying to be a dufus or does it come naturally?

5. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    How would you go about doing it yourself??

6. richardjones89

richardjones89

Jun 6, 2007
    i am no expert on this matter. however i have re sprayed my bass myself with guidance from others. made a bit of a mess, but overall it actually looks ok considering ive never done anything like it before :p

for a start, if its something youve bought for cheap, say a copy of one of those common fenders for about £90 then it doesnt matter much if you make a mistake. ;) if its expensive then consider not having it done at all, or if you really want it done get it proffessionally done by some expert. you dont wanna destroy something that could be worth something :eek:

take it apart, but try not to remove the neck. i think this is done in a factory so it is perfectly level with the strings to get the best possible distance from the frets. so just remove everything else. i personally removed it cos it got in the way, and have probably messed my bass up as a result but it still plays nicley. its nothing a bit of masking tape would not be able to handle. make sure places on your bass are covered up that you dont want to get damaged or painted, because you may regret it later. better to get some card to cover up bits when youre painting cos paint doesnt soak through it easy.

i was told to sand down the paintwork so it was rough but levelly smooth so that the primer had something to stick to. wear protection! eye goggles, plastic mask, old clothes. dont wanna cause any harm to yourself or your new threads. take it all the way down to the wood if you can, but it isnt neccessary unless you want the most perfect finish. this will take a bit of time. the hardest bit is the corners to get right i think. oh use a block of wood and wrap the sandpaper around it when you sand, it saves so much time and effort. just get it as smooth as possible without making the wood flake or stand out in places. try to get it even.

then when youre happy with it, spray it with a few coats of primer, i only did one or two but its best to have about 3 or 4 i think. i used car paints, since these come in spray cans and are made to last. do thin layers because these are the strongest, and build them up. wait between each coat for them to dry. try and hang the body up somewhere so that you can get all around the body. next, apply your choice of paint by spraying a few layers of it. finally to finish it off, apply several coats of laquer and let it dry, then youre pretty much done.

if youre wanting to do something quite fancy you may have to plan it proper, because whatever you do it wont end up as good as what a machine or an expert would be able to do. but if you have patience you will have yourself a nicley new painted bass! :smug:

this is the way i did it, so its probably not the best way. i didnt spend enough time on it i think, because i can see places where i didnt sand down enough, and the scratches do show through if not sanded smoothly enough. it wont be perfect but itll be your new perfection ;)

in total i spent about £20-25 for a can of primer, white paint, red paint, and laquer. i bought honda paint, simply because it was honda lol i love honda and i wanted my project to represent a honda. :hyper: make sure you get the closest colour of primer to the final paint colour as you can cos it all adds up to make the final finish. so if youre spraying white, get white primer, if blue, get blue primer etc. laquer is clear so theres only one colour - clear.

this is how my turned out. like i say, not perfect. i wasnt patient enough. but i still like how it turned out. please do not be frightened by the fact i resprayed a bass myself with very little experience... simply enjoy (or laugh at) my bass! the strap is a car seatbelt, and ive also added a seatbelt cover and honda badge on the back of it since. :bassist:

Hondabass2.jpg

youre best looking into repainting your bass really. there are several sites with great guidance though. have a look around. hey is there not a sticky for a DIY painting your bass thread? someone should post one up of how to do it the best way. would be very handy and would have been for me also. :)

7. Metalhead8590

Metalhead8590

Jun 5, 2007
    ok cool, yeah i have a cheap epiphone i could practice on.
    Thanks for the help man i really appreciate it

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

The answer is "no" to both questions.

I was actually being sarcastic which is a bit harder to detect than mere mental retardation. That's the reason I included the sarcasm thingy :rolleyes: for those who might be a little slow and unable to tell the difference.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    hbar, as in .223 REM?

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SEZ YOU!!!

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021