Repainting my P-bass...any color suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Feb 1, 2004.

1. I love my P-bass, but the color just doesn't appeal to me.

So I think its time for a refin (done by me of course) and I'm undecided on what color I should refinish it to...I was thinking of going with a Metallic Forest Green, and attempting my best to match the headstock too...

Suggestions are welcome!
  2. What color is it now? I'd say red or blue (if it's not either of those colors already).
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I believe it's Midnight Blue. I think you should go easy and do Natural. (If the grain looks good).
  5. Umm...I say dont do it, unless you are a professional, it wont turn out the way you want, dont expect a perfect shiny, mirror like finish...
  6. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    id go with a black and crimson combo :) yeah but if you really want to do it have the guys at the local car painter ( like a macco(sp) do it) youll get better results
  7. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    black/white checker! - and then start a ska band.
  8. Well, the thing is, I love this bass more than any other bass, and I'm not going to ever sell it. As far as the paint goes, I wasn't going to go to the extreme with the metallic stuff in the paint (ex. Modulus Flea bass or G&L metallic colors), but rather just a little bit. I want to be able to use the bass for any occasion, such as jazz or R&B and not have it look tacky...I just want it to look classy...

**EDIT** I should also say that I'm trying to steer away from red, because my jazz bass is redburst.
  9. What you should do is get rid of the original finish. Then choose your color (personally I'd go with grey) then put one coat on everyday. Once one layer has finished drying, sand it down. Do that everyday, with a lower grit rating everyday. Then to top it of spray a coat of laquere over top to make it shine.

Be sure to do some researching on the subject before you do anything though. ProjectGuitar might be a good place to start.

Good Luck! :bassist:
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    It's quite possible that refinishing the bass will have an impact on the sound - I've no direct experience of this myself but I'm sure I've seen it mentioned round here quite a few times. Therefore, if you really like the way this bass sounds and feels, you might be best off playing it with your eyes closed.... ;)

11. Yup, I planned on reading up on it...I'm not some little punk who would think my bass would play better with an anarchy symbol spray painted on it and half the paint sanded off...I was intending on sanding off the current paint and then gradually applying and sanding paint. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing...after all, this past summer I coated the fretboard of my jazz bass with polyurethane...9 coats to be exact. :D

**EDIT** Do you think it would alter the sound if I sanded off only the poly and the paint and left the primer or base coat (or whatever it is called...) on?
  12. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think it probably would adjust the sound. The Luthiers forum here is probably the best place to ask around, as that's where you'll find the people who got most experience of workig with parameters like this. I'm just suggesting caution because you say it's your favourite bass and thus, potentially, you've got a lot to lose.

How much do you hate the colour? You could try just swapping the scratchplate - sometimes changing just one element can affect the character of a system of colours.

13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Following my earlier post, here's a quick demo of alternative scratchplates:

FWIW, I think the white one is my favourite - it certainly makes quite a change to the character of the bass but would be much easier than a full paint job (I like the look of those 'Chromashift' paints though!)

14. If you decide to paint it......i say....BLACK! It would be perfect with your pickguard!
  15. I'd vote to Sherwood Green---definiely a classic color or maybe Fiesta red. I've read a lot, though I haven't tried a refin yet, although I bought a Squire P for just this purpose---I recommend a site called "Re-Ranch"----they show you how to do it every step of the way, and it's far less costly than paying someone----worst case scenario, you have to sand it down again and try over or pay someone else.
  16. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Black! Black! Black! Did I say Black?
  17. Lake Placid Blue would look nice with the pearloid guard, as would black. Natural would be very nice too. And it would save you the cost of new paint, just have to sand down and finish it.
  18. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    i have a midnight blue p-bass.... i have put a white pearloid pickguard on it... and it looks great. i refinished the bass myself.... and did the headstock... didnt come out quite as well i wanted it to, but the bass was in pieces when i bought it... so didnt really bother me (as long as it covered up the worst of the burn marks etc.... a punk band bought it new in the 70's)...the only original part left is the body.
  19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
  20. Well, on the subject of changing the pickguard, I already did...It originally had the stock white pickguard on it and it looked hideous.

Here's a Photoshop mockup of what I'd like to do...albeit, I'm not quite sure what true color that is, as I'm on a laptop, and laptop screens are notorious for not showing the true color...