Repainting the wood.... (Update from my first project)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Grufolo, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Hello all,
    I've completely stripped my new Eko MM305 to wood, defretted the neck and I'm now in the process of planning the decoration of the body.

The body is now just bare wood, reshaped and sanded to smoothness.

What shall I do? The plan is to use acrylic enamels to paint the decoration (maybe start from a plain colour base), but here's the question:

- Should I treat the wood with some oil or other product before using the colours?

- after getting it decorated can I spray it with transparent polyurethane paint using a compressor?

- any other steps I'm neglecting?

Thank you in advance

Andrea

Attached Files:

2. Xtreme

Xtreme

Jun 26, 2020
    Montreal
    Im no expert but we need more
    Do you want to see the wood grain trough the paint?
    Are you going to be using an opaque paint?
    Are you using a translucent paint?
    A varnish?

In both cases the wood should be sealed so the wood doesn't keep soaking up the paint
    If I was painting it with acrylic I would seal it then prime it then paint it then seal the paint with clear this will make it so you dont see the wood pores, unless you do want to see the pores but that another ball game ....

3. Grufolo

Grufolo

May 1, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you.
    I didn't mention it, as you pointed out.

I want to leave the wood grain out of it and just see the paint so I'm inclined to give a homogeneous base and the work from there.

Unfortunately I have no experience with wood so I don't even know what sealing means and what products should I use

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021