Repainting your bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SWiTCH, Jan 13, 2006.

1. SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Has anyone done this, or know how to go about doing it?
    I have an urgent desire to paint my cheap bass with candy/neon green. :bassist:

2. An excellent idea! just make sure you srrip the paint off first and spray out side in the shed or garage, a damp day is good cause it keeps the dust at bay. Make a wee rig with a coat hanger and hang the body by the neck holes. Put on an under coat and go slow in thin coats. Then when your putting on the lacquer do fine coats, and sand in between each spray with xxxxtra fine sand paper. i did mine and was very happy with it i tried to get the top face looking the best though.

Also a car sprayers will prob do it for about £50 $100 Euro70:bassist:
  3. Based on my experience (which is not too much :D ) the worst part is to remove the paint and do the sandpaper work compared to painting the bass. If it's a cheapo, why not to try?

And before doing such a paint job I was not aware there were so many options and (unfortunately) I've later learned that some paints/finish was not doing well over some others (cellulosic-acrylic-synthetic-whatsoeveric ;) )
  4. hamerexplorer

Dec 31, 2005
    did it to my spare cheap bass...

took off the neck, sanded it some so the baint catches....let it dry....san it w/ some fine paper....and paint it again....done...

and take off all teh hardware and junk