1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Repair: Cracked Mandolin

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by EricssonB, Aug 11, 2012.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    My parents shipped over a Rogue mandolin for Christmas. Fun little thing to have around. Left it secured in my locker at work while I was on nights. Didn't see it for a week and when I pulled it to bring it home it was like, "hi I love you and I'm broken."

?_?

Thinking about pulling the strings, cleaning up the crack and glueing it, probably keeping pressure from both sides until it dries, waiting a week then throwing some ridiculously-light strings back onto it.

Yeah?

01c08372.

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Might want to check mandolin cafe to see if they have any secret tips. Otherwise, you could look into how to reset guitar necks and follow those guides

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    9440d5fa.

Should this not do the trick, it'll take a hack saw to clean the crack better, more glue and a card of wood to fill it.

4. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    I wasn't happy with the way that it was drying. Hacksaw and an Ikea membership tag that both fit the gap perfectly and pushed the glue into position more effectively. 5179ad07.