Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Repair damaged Fender Jazz Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by extrem94, Mar 28, 2005.

1. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    Hi everybody,
    The "siding (where the markers are)" of my 68 Jazz Bass neck is slowly breaking. Can I replace it myself?
    Do you know any luthier for this job in the Miami area?
    Thank you,

2. The binding is delaminating?

Have a repairman fix it.

3. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    Need to find a luthier in the Miami area, any idea?

4. Naw, sorry dude...no idea.

If it's a vintage piece, you never really wanna do it yourself, unless you're really sure of the adhesives you're using...could eat right thru the binding... I honestly don't know enough about it.

5. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    Actually part of the binding is gone already, should I think about getting a new neck instead?

6. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    With a 68 Jazz, getting a new neck is a very safe and financially wise option. No danger of doing something bad to the original neck. You can always swap the necks back if you want to sell and you still have your new neck. And a good quality neck will retain value pretty well.

7. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    thanks for your advice, should I get a neck from Fender or try other manufacturers?
    I pretty much LOVE the 1966 JB neck feel....

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    For authenticity, I'd go Fender, but that gets a little pricey. Warmoth has bound/block necks for pretty cheap.

9. extrem94

extrem94

Feb 15, 2005
    Miami
    I have to find a repairman in the Miami area, need to fixe a jazz bass neck's binding.
    I'm a player not a collector, this bass sounds really good (68). Any help would be greatly appreciated.