Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

repair of chinese bass in beijing, china

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Uncle Lee, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Hi everyone, I am new to this site and am actually just looking for a bit of advice. I am a relative beginner double bass player, and just bought my first bass (made in PRC, brand Sanxian, I think) in Beijing, where I am on a language exchange. I have been having a lot of problems with it, mainly that the back is "falling off", ie coming unstuck at the bottom. Also the setup is problem. Can anyone help? Specifically, the problems are:

1. The back is coming unstuck.Its been glued once but three days later it had started coming unstuck again, even worse than before. I don't dare play on it (I have taken the bridge off to remove pressure), and tomorrow its back to the shop for another repair. Is there anything more I can do? Is it worth trying to do the repair myself (as I think that the people in the shop are definitely not luthiers, rather salespeople)? What can I do to prevent this kind of thing happening - I am already keeping my eye on the rooms humidity, but perhaps temperature is also important...? Has anyone had this kind of experience?

2. The set-up. I've read some posts already that recommend going to a luthier (I also read the one about the piano-style bass strings on chinese models, right on!). Unfortunately, there is a very small market for this Beijing and I haven't had anyluck. Even in stores where one can BUY quite expensive double basses and accessories, they just say "Oh, you can just file the bridge down". Can I? What should I look out for? I am anxious to get practicing again but seem to be facing all these problems. So what MUST I look out for when setting up?

I'd really appreciate any advice at all. Beijing is a wonderful city - people, food, night-life, music are all great - but as far as the double bass goes, its a desert! Thanks for reading about my troubles and please post some advice if you have any!

Cheers, Uncle Lee

2. This may be a long shot, but Sam Shen is in china. John Sprague here on the board works with his basses; maybe he could point you in the direction of someone who could help. Good luck!

3. See if you can't get in touch with one of the bassists in the Beijing Symphony and find out what he does for setups.

EDIT: If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go make a post in the DB Off-Topic forum to which I'd like you to respond, if you can.

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Uncle Lee,
    Welcome to TB!

Our factory is in Suzhou, so we're not too close to Beijing. I'll write to Sam and see if he has anyone he can recommend in that area, he may know someone. I'll let you know how I make out.

Calling the Beijing Symphony is probably still your best bet though.

5. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    General Lee,
    Sam wrote back, but he doesn't know anyone in Beijing that he could recommend for repairs. Shanghai yes, but Beijing no.
    Sorry mate.

John

6. The Christopher factory is in Beijing. Perhaps you could contact the folks at Concord Group and they could put you in touch with someone there who could help you.

7. hi, just want to let you guys know how this bass story continues. I took the bass back to the shop and they're going to swap it for a new one, which will be good, unless the same problem recurrs! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice, even if it doesn't necessarily lead anywhere: China is like that, nothing you can do! I'm also contacting Christopher Basses for some info and advice. Keep up the good forums! :D