1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Repair or not to repair

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ken ken, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ken ken

ken ken

Sep 5, 2011
    :help: I have a '76 fender jazz which I acquired 2nd hand around 30 years ago. I have spent some $$$ looking for ideal pick-ups and restorting the wood and paint that got severaly messed up during a hurriance. Now the neck needs replacement, which means more $$$. Being the bass it is and considering all the cool and modern basses out there for an attractive price, should I replace the neck? Would it be able to sound and play good? Would it be worth the investment? or Should I sell it?

Thank you all for your advise

kr

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Try posting your question in the "Basses" forum or the "Lutherie & Repair" forum, you'll get a more informed answer there.

Do you like the bass? Have any emotional/sentimental attachment to it? You can certainly buy a replacement neck that's every bit as good as the original Fender neck. Check Warmoth and All parts for prices on replacement necks. A new neck would certainly be cheaper than buying a new Fender.

If you don't want to repair it, you can probably get some decent $$$ by selling the parts on eBay... :bag:

3. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Take a look and I'll bet between here and the bay you'll find a neck for a couple of hundred bucks or less.

It might not be original but a Warmouth will work.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The new neck will likely be better. I had a '74 P bass, and the neck was awful. It was like a roller coaster. The late 70s Fenders weren't all that great.

5. BAce

BAce

Jul 31, 2012
    First off, just exactly why does the neck need replacing? Hockey stick warp? Fret board fell off? It may not need repalcing. You'd be amazed what a good luthier can do to a "ruined" neck...

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    You mentioned other "cool" basses out there? I think you want something new and how bad is the neck? that would determine if you should repair it or not.

7. Depends on the condition of the body. I doubt you'll get much selling it without the original neck so id try to salvage it in someway. If it was me and the body was structurally ok id be ordering a replacement fretless neck with an ebony board from warmoth because I'm covered in the fretted department.