1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repair/setup/lutherie books

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Ben Mitchell, May 10, 2011.

1. I'm still in high school, so I would prefer something less expensive, but whats good for me to start learning? I want to attempt a first violin eventually, just as a starting point.

Thanks,
    Ben

2. The best way is to check out your local violin shop and ask if you can "apprentice."

I have books on repair but the best education for repair is to study with a repair person. The Chuck Trager (sp?) book is ok, but you definitely have to have experience to benefit from it.

IMHO start with a violin.

3. And spell Texas correctly. You live in the greatest country on Earth! :)

4. Did I typo it? My bad. :rollno:

fixed :D

5. I am, but not till the summer after next. Because of the fact that I can't drive on my own yet, and I don't want to drag my parents with me everyday. :)

:rollno: The life of a young'n with ambition...

6. Welcome BassMaster65.

Chuck's book is expensive $80+ and not very textbook like. Maybe someone can suggest another.

But you can search TB Setup/Repair and other Bass forums for the topics you like and Google "double bass build (or repair)" or such and likely keep yourself busy until summer for free. And you will go into the shop with a basic understanding of string instrument makeup.

Another idea - find a junk violin and disassemble it.

7. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    You might want to look for the magazine, "American Lutherie," which is the quarterly journal of the Guild of American Luthiers, at your local library.

It covers guitars, lutes, mandlins, voilins, double basses, and much more. Don't worry too much about acquiring bass-specific information at first: many of the principles are as applicable to basses as they are to other instruments.

The Guild of American Luthiers
    8222 South Park
    Tacoma, WA 98408
    (253) 472-7853
    Guild of American Luthiers homepage - string instrument making information

8. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Try a used book store. I got Alberto Bachmann's "Encyclopedia of the Violin" for $10.00. Also check out the public library. All the books in the world for, what, $20 a year?

9. Our public library is free :D

Great idea. Thats what I'll do.

10. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Come over, I'll let you borrow some texts. This'll give you a good head start should you want to help me out in my shop sometime..

11. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    I'd sell my left kidney to have Cody in my city and discuss with him my ventures in DB lutherie!!!

12. punkozuna

punkozuna

Mar 19, 2011
    Irrigon, Oregon
    Go ahead and make them drive you. What else have they got to do?

Seriously, I'd be happy to drive a kid of mine to do something like apprentice at a luthier's shop. I'm guessing such an arrangement wouldn't be everyday anyway.

13. They both work, and its about a 45 minute drive. :D

14. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Well getcherself a hatchback with a 4-banger for the round trip. Gas is spensive, knowledge is priceless..

15. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Hmmm... black market value for kidneys... :eyebrow::D

You flatter me Mik, don't do that, it goes straight to my head. :D