Repair shop has had my bass for 3 weeks...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Peeved T-40, May 7, 2021.

1. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    I don’t know if this is the right place for this but it seemed like a good place to get an opinion.

I have an Ibanez SR250. There’s a problem with the bridge pickup. It crackles, drops out and drains the battery but it’s not an issue if I keep it on the neck pickup.

I took it to my local shop to have them look at it. The owner quoted me a week. They’ve had it for three weeks now. After a week and a half I called and he blew me off, telling me “we’ll get to it when we get to it and we’ll call you”. I called again a few days ago, over two and a half weeks after I gave them my bass. Again they gave me the run around. In all this time they haven’t contacted me themselves.

The last guy I talked to said he thinks they ordered parts but wouldn’t confirm. Is it normal for a shop to order parts without talking to the costumer? I don’t even know what the problem is or how much the repair is going to cost but they’re just going to go ahead and do it anyway and stick me with an unknown bill?

After not hearing from them for another few days it is now three weeks since I gave them my bass and I really want to go down there and just get back.

what do you guys think? Is this normal? Am I just being impatient and unrealistic?

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    I think you're going to get a lot of hot and opinionated responses. But ultimately, this really boils down to: what do YOU think? Are you comfortable with the service you're getting? If not, take it somewhere else.

Lots of different shops have lots of different patterns of behavior. Customers have different tolerances. You need to find what works for you, regardless of what we think.

3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Go get it. A good place wouldn't do this, even with things taking longer communication is key.

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I'd go get it. It would take me (and probably most others on this board) an hour maximum to diagnose the problem and get back to you with some solutions. It's literally either a bad connection somewhere in the bridge pickup signal chain, a problem with the pickup, or a problem with the preamp. A bad connection would be repaired in 5 minutes and the pickup or preamp problem would involve a quick phone call to you to discuss how much you want to spend to repair a $300 bass. 3 weeks is unacceptably ridiculous.

Rabidhamster, Big Shrek and C Stone like this.
  5. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    "The owner quoted me a week. They’ve had it for three weeks now. After a week and a half I called and he blew me off, telling me "we’ll get to it when we get to it and we’ll call you”.

That would be it for me, I would have picked up my bass in as long as it took me to end the call and drive there...Good luck!

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

7. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    well, if anyone's wondering, I went and got it. In three weeks he hadn't even opened the case. Told me there where other people ahead of me. this is a town with a population of 1,000. I can't imagine he's packed with so much business that he couldn't find time to even look at my bass in three weeks.

When he gave it back to me he couldn't even be bothered to look at me or stop talking to the guy he was talking too. he couldn't have given less of a poopie. I would have almost preferred for him to argue with me instead of being looked through and ignored. shag that place.

8. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Wait till they go out of business (inevitable) and go back and scoop up a ton of gear at clearance prices.

9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    This is the exact reason I learned to do stuff myself. Almost every single experience with shops in this area was just like what you had. Even the good ones with good reps would end up WAY off on their timelines and some of these people were absolute hacks to begin with. Wait for too long, pay too much, get a terrible job back when it's done.

All I can say is, it's not the hardest stuff to learn, TB is filled with great teachers and advice, and if you can fix issues like this, it makes you feel really good.
    Otherwise, seek out people who get stuff worked on and get recommendations from trusted sources.

10. J_Bass

J_Bass Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    Yep, that sentence would put me in the shop picking up the bass immediately.

Rabidhamster, Big Shrek and C Stone like this.
  11. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    You know how it is. Your bass sits in the corner for 3 or more weeks. Untouched. Then one day, it is finally looked at and in 30 minutes, fixed!

Customer Service, American style.

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    A high-end shop in my town has a wait list that extends to over 4 weeks. At least they tell you that when you leave your instrument.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a shop to deliver when they said they would, and only do the work previously agreed to. It should not be up to the customer to chase a repair past the estimated delivery date. Yes, it is an "estimated" delivery date, but should further time be required I would expect the shop to call you, not the other way around. It's just good business practice. Repair work is a service after all. And the same goes for added costs. If there are significant costs beyond the initial quote, or additional unforeseen work that needs to be done, the shop should be in touch with you before they proceed and get your approval first. I don't think it unreasonable to insist on these points.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Do they actually perform this type of service? How close are you to a metro area or civilization as we know it?

Riis

14. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    they're a small store and half of it is dedicated to repairs so yeah, they perform this service. as for how far I am from civilization, the closes guitar center is about an hour away if that gives you any indication.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Apparently, your gear was assigned to the half that doesn't do repairs. If you live a town of 1000, I would imagine you're used to making the drive(s) necessary for modern amenities and services. Gas-up, grab a couple Payday candy bars, and let the tires hit the pavement.

Riis

Ed Byrnes likes this.
  16. Peeved T-40

Peeved T-40

Jan 12, 2021
    that's what i'm going to have to do in the future but yeah, I'm not used to it. I moved here from the suburbs of Mesa Arizona where everything I needed was within 10 minuets from my house. Not gonna lie, after living here for almost two years, I still haven't gotten used to that poopie

Zooberwerx likes this.
  17. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Repair times definitely vary with location and the players-to-techs ratio (the treatment from the shop is another inexcusable matter).

We have a wonderful guitar guy here, and of course, he’s quite backed up. His habit is to tell you it’s a 3-week wait, but then he’ll call in a few to several days with the news that the repairs are complete (he’s got a Scotty thing going on for the Star Trek fans….:roflmao:).
    If I need service, I’ll let him know and he puts me on his job list. Then when he sees my name coming up, he’ll call (okay, text) me and I’ll bring my bass in. This way, I’m not without my bass for a week or so and I can usually wait on it. I don’t know if that’s feasible to do with everyone, but I suggested it a few ago and he was very agreeable with it.

18. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I had a Fender Urge in the shop once because half the P pickup didn't work. It was there for weeks, and I consistently got the runaround about it. I finally just said that I needed it back, fixed or not. After some hem-hawing around, I was told "at this point, I think we basically owe you a new bass." They went on to explain that the had dropped a drill on it and damaged the finish on my bass. I never saw that bass again. (I think that they accidentally put it back on the floor and sold it, because when I said repeatedly that I wanted to see it, they refused and the situation got really weird.)

Once they fessed up (at least to what I think was their made up story), they did make it right. They had another Urge in stock in green. Mine had been blue, but I took the green one. After playing it for a few days, I became aware that it had some visible shop wear and my bass had been basically new and in mint condition. I talked to the shop about it, and they said, "no problem." They ordered me a new one from Fender in the next available color (burgundy mist). They let me hang on to the green one until the replacement arrived.

I eventually had to replace the neck on that burgundy mist Urge bass, and then I traded it for a new 1998 American Standard Jazz bass that I still own. And by some twist of fate, the green Urge resurfaced and I have it now too.

Big Shrek likes this.
  19. bpc

bpc

Mar 29, 2016
    Central Scotland
    Start a thread with a picture of the control cavity and as good a description of the problem as you can manage. You should get a lot of willing help. Can you solder?

Big Shrek, Dave Neal and mexicant like this.
  20. danster

danster Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    You don't need them - THEY need YOU!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021