Repair under warranty- Gallien Krueger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by badgrandad, Jan 10, 2005.

1. For all of you with more experience than me, is this common practice?
    I bought a new GK 400rbiv (which I LOVE) and after my initial purchase in September ('04) my gigs finally slowed down enough for me to take the head in to be checked for a few "questions" I had, which were
    1) I couldn't get the input clip light to work;
    2) I had never seen or heard the cooling fan to come on at any of my gigs, some of which were 3hrs long ( though admittedly I do not push the amp at all).

After contacting a few people at GK and even hearing from TB's own Dan Elliot (thanks again Dan!) they all suggested when I could to take it to a warranty center to be checked out, which I have just done. Upon dropping it off I was informed that I would be responsible for a $60.00 charge if they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Is this normal? It seemed odd to me.
  2. AWW come on, surely some of y'all have had to take in stuff for warranty!!
  3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    If it helps, it's hard to get the clip light to come on with these amps generally...only with a very hot signal. If I understand correctly, the light looks at the initial signal, different than some amps that look at all the gain stages before the master (even the EQ). I wouldn't worry about the clip light.

With the fan, this is a much quieter fan than most amps and it runs at variable speeds. The amp runs cooler than most, so there's not a lot of fan time to detect, especially if you aren't pushing the amp much.

I hope this helps.
  4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I don't think there was anything wrong with your amp. Bench fees are normal though. If they're not getting paid by GK to do warranty work, this way they'll (the tech) get something out of it.
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    If I remember correctly GK amps Clip when the pre-amp input is too hot and not on the output stage like other amps. The fan only comes on when the head gets hot and is completely noiseless. Your amp sounds fine to me :)
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    I've had my 1001RB-II for a few months now and I finally saw my fan operate for the first time at a church gig we did yesterday morning. It was dead silent though and I would have never known it was running if I hadn't happened to glance down at it while pressing the mute button.

- Ugly.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I owned a 1001rb for 2-3 years and am familiar with its workings. If you want to see if your clip light is working properly, plug in an active 5 string bass and max the bass tone control on the bass. now, slap the B string (with your amp's master volume on very low so you don't blow your speakers). If the light doesn't come on, it probably needs replacing.

I understand that the fan will not b activated unless the amp is getting hot and requires cooling. I've played many soft volume gigs without the fan coming on.

I'm not sure about the diagnostic charge. It may vary from dealer to dealer. It's one thing if you have an obviously broken amp that needs servicing within the warranty period - there should be no charge. However, if you have a perfectly healthy amp and want it checked, I can understand why the repair shop would want to be compensated for their time which is being spent just to satisfy your curiousity. Naturally, if they find a problem, there should be no charge. You have a unique situation there.
  8. Thankyou for your input, it is exactly what I needed. I did attempt to get the input light to flash by "un-padding" the input , cranking my volume and all three tone controls on my active 5- string and wanking on all the strings with the input volume all the way up and not a flash to be seen. That is why I first contacted GK and explained my situation to them, at which point they suggested I take it in. This is why I was confused about the charges since the folks at GK suggested I take it in.
  9. I think I overheard Gene talking about this today. I'll ask him about it tomorrow.
  10. Again Dan's the man! I probably worry too much and should have waited to see if there really was an issue to begin with.

TB is a great community!