1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repairable E-bass on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jim Henderson, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Just saw what appears to be a possible P.O.S. bass on Ebay. I believe the bass is located in the pacific northwest and has been painted black with "glitter sprinkles" (Jeeezzz, why would anyone do that to any bass)? Okay. Take a look at the picture showing the back of the scroll and check out the wood grain. Also check the tuners. Granted, the thing appears to be one of the few basses that looks worse than the Juzek I sent to Maestros at A.E.S. for a rebuild. Yeah, I know, with cracks, splits and shot neck block, probably not worth the bucks to get it into playing shape but who do you think might be the maker? Carved? I need a few more experienced (and younger than 60 year old) eyes to look at this thing and venture a few opinions. You know, just wondering out loud. As always, thanks for the expertise and the opinions.
    Jim :meh:

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You got a link there Jim or are we supposed to dig it up on our own like some 'Survivor Ebay' deal? :)

3. Jake,
    Am working at sending the link. Item is listed under upright basses on Ebay. Item # 150289983351 located in the Seattle/Tacoma area and specifically listed as "Upright bass for repair or parts". Hopefully the wife or a few of the band members that will be over for rehersal tonight will know how to forward the link. Was hoping that the black house paint with the glitter sparkles would make it easier to find. Guess it loses impact in 500 computer listings.
    Was thinking it might be something worth tinkering with .
    Jim

Will get back to you with the link.
    J.

4. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Its got a bad horizontal crack on the soundboard under the upper block; looks bad.

They will not ship, local pick up only.

Jake, If you like glitter, its not too far from you.

5. nathanmcnathan

nathanmcnathan Banned

Jan 25, 2008
    Barrie, Ontario
    It's terrible...

6. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Works dandy Jim - the old copy & paste.

Boy that's ugly! Glossy black with silver sparkles I could handle but yeesh.....
    Still, for $50.00.....my wife's going to kill me! :D

7. you will have glitter in your car...hair,mouth,nose,hands,stool....clothes,shop, tools.you will be a carrier..to loved ones,pets,friends.AND you will not get it all off,and out of the bass. ;)

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    "There goes Jake, so sad what happened to him..." :D

9. Jake,
    What's happening with that bass? It's up to $200 + bucks for what appears to be poor quality starter wood. From the side view it looks like a flat back. From the front a da gamba and from the splits and cracks on the top, back and all bouts, possibly a carved bass. Could the tuning machines be old ebony hi-hats, painted with a beautiful silver Testor's model enamel?
    Originally, I thought the thing was consumed with mold until I read that someone intentionally painted it and added sparkles. So, checking the rest of the pictures, there was one of the rear of the scroll where the paint had chipped off. The grain and color, if not a painted grain, looks to be a really nicely figured piece of wood. Possibly an older Wilfer or Juzek? Just thought it might be a possible project bass assuming it carries no inter-galactic bacteria. It might even be a challange for my hero and former Jedi master, Professor Arnold.
    Jim :confused:

10. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    I don't want to say anything about for fear MollyKay will snatch it from me like she did that Kay a while ago! :D

Those of you who know me know I long for those hat-pegs.....

11. Yer Fear is mighty-justified Jake :D ..... Nobody beats MK and BM to A Smart Deal .... She's my Hero-Ine ;) ... Get out yer checkbook ... She might be willin' to sell it to you :p .

12. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    Have at it fella’s…I do think the wood on the back of the neck looks mighty purdy and tempting…but I am tapped out of money and space right now. I gotta sell a bass to buy another one, this Epiphone addiction has gotten pretty serious. We have enough project basses to get us through the winter…go for it Jake…this bass can make wonderful music again with some TLC, elbow grease and glitter removal!!!:cool::D

13. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Do I hear $520.........

14. the hammer dropped @ $710. i have a creepy feeling that the joke is on us :eyebrow:

15. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    That's a lot of money for a HUGE project. If that bass was rattle-canned matte black right into the cracks, its going to be a $5000 plus restoration.

Although the tailpiece looked mighty old to me.....

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Yeah, really. Hell even if you stripped off all that crap off of it your self that alone is quite a ordeal, refinishing a doublebass is not really that fun.

Aaron N