1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repaired Headstock Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbalou02, Mar 30, 2015.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey all, I have a bass for sale with a repaired headstock. Here's the story....about 5 years ago my stand got bumped and the bass fell forward and cracked the headstock. I had it professionally repaired right away as it was at the time my only bass. It took a week or so, and the guy who fixed it did a amazing job, I couldn't have been happier and more relieved when I got it back. It plays exactly as amazing as it did before and you have to be looking for the crack to find it. You can run your hand all along the repair and not feel anything but nice smooth finish. The only drawback besides the visible fix (see below) is that the serial number got buffed and you can't read the whole number clearly. About half of it is viewable, as well as the made in USA stamp embossed into the headstock. I'm sure there's enough there for someone with some CSI skills, but I can't make all the numbers out anymore.

e.

The luthier said that that with the type of glue and clamp system he used, this bass would never crack at that spot again. He said if it were to crack at the headstock, it would be through new wood before this spot would go. I don't play it much anymore because I have the 5 string version as well, and I really like that low B, but it's been on a stand or in the case or over over my shoulder with tension on it for years and has had no issues.

So here's my question. What kind of hit on the value of the bass should this repair cause?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Depends greatly on the original value of the bass. What is it?

Fatboy 2015, jbalou02 and blindrabbit like this.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

$200-300 on a TBird IME.

jbalou02 likes this.
  4. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    2007 Gibson Thunderbird Studio, probably retailed for around $1200?

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Oooh, nice. Not sure how much a hit on sell price that'd be, but I'm sure lots of folks here have opinions. Losing the serial number might be a bigger issue than the repair, I'm not sure.

jbalou02 likes this.
  6. Baird6869

Studios are not that expensive used. I would ask $600-ish but that might be a stretch as it isn't one of the rarer 5ers.

jbalou02 likes this.
  7. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I've got it in the classified section for $750 w/ohsc or trade. I think that is reasonable! It's a duplicate for me, as I do have the 5 version.

I know it's a personal preference issue, would any of you guys and gals be worried about that fix if you were to be able to confirm its quality and it matched my claims?

8. Baird6869

Personally, I wouldn't buy a broken headstock Gibson unless it was seriously discounted. The new joint IS stronger than before but to many it WAS severely damaged. I have owned a Les Paul Studio guitar for almost 10 years with a repaired headstock and it is my favorite guitar. Holds tune great and sounds amazing. My repair is not really noticeable but I would disclose the repair if I ever sold it.

Serial # is a big issue for many also. Some of the dumpy bars I play in are visited (rarely but it happens) by cops who write down serial #'s. I wouldn't personally be comfortable gigging a bass with an incomplete S/N and it would be hard to get my I durance company to pay out if it was ever stolen.

The bass is worth what someone is willing to pay for it In any case. TBirds are getting more expensive used so you never know.....

SteveCS and jbalou02 like this.
  9. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Well, I lost a trade because of it. I'm in no hurry though, so its all good! It is a sweet bass and I'm determined to find it a good home!

10. A Warwick Thumb NT that I had took around $1000 hit because of a repaired headstock crack that was no where near that serious and was barely even noticeable. :(

In my case though, I think when a bass is higher value (and also probably because it was a neck-through), "small" things can matter more...people who are paying for premium instruments expect perfection. With a lower end instrument, yeah you'll take a hit, but maybe not as big. As others have mentioned above, the missing serial number adds further concerns of its own that could impact just pricing as much.

See what kind of interest you have for it at the $750 point, hopefully someone will bite. For me, with everything considered, I'd be thinking more like $500 or less...(sorry!).

jbalou02 and static0verdrive like this.
  11. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Dang you guys are killin me! It's definitely not going anywhere for $500, much less less! That's ridiculous! I'll roll the dice and ebay it before I let someone steal it from me.

12. To follow-up on the other posts above I agree with, if you enjoy playing it, it will probably be worth more to you as a beater/backup bass than what you'll be able to get for it. To echo, people don't want to pay a lot for a repaired instrument, especially at higher prices (originally). You never know though, there are exceptions out there.

13. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I have seen these for sale for $800 undamaged, I would say $550 at the highest.

godofthunder59 and blindrabbit like this.
  14. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You asked for opinions. You got opinions.

SteveCS likes this.
  15. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    That I did, and I don't mean to sound defensive. I do think I'm getting low balled though. The case is worth $150 easy...I wouldn't sell a Gibson Thunderbird Studio for $350 still broken.

16. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Nothing is worth anything until someone buys it. Have you sold it yet?

I found one in the classifieds that sold in October, the listing price was $700 with HSC without BHCIHS (big hairy crack in headstock).

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    SteveCS and blindrabbit like this.
  17. Baird6869

$150 for a used Gibson case?:woot:

Anyhoo, I would keep it personally.

I am in the same boat with my Les Paul. It is worth $700-800 used and I MIGHT get $600 with the headstock repair. I rarely play guitar, but I won't sell it for peanuts. Rather let it collect dust between the monthly-ish 5 minutes of play time it gets.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Look on eBay, Reverb.com, gbase.com and I think you'll find that $500 - $600 with case is about the best you will do. Your biggest problem is going to be that the pool of people who will buy a bass with a broken headstock is very small.

SteveCS, jbalou02 and Joe Kyle like this.
  19. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm in no rush. Its a great bass, someone will really enjoy it, and it will eventually sell for a price I'm comfortable with. It's up on the classifieds, feel free to lowball me there if you want! ;)

20. Well, if your luthier knows his stuff and did the repair correctly, he's absolutely right; that spot will remain stable and probably never break again.

Unfortunately, most buyers will still expect a significant discount from street value because of it. I scored a very nice Gibson T-Bird that plays and sounds amazing for about half of normal street value because it had a headstock repair.

Fact is, there are reports from some players of both Gibson guitars and basses that after the headstock repair, the guitar just didn't sound the same. Not saying that's always the case, but it is kind of a scary unknown for buyers.

jbalou02 and blindrabbit like this.
  21. Sorry man, its nothing personal. I certainly thought it was "ridiculous" that I lost out on $1000 when I sold my beautiful Thumb, but that was the reality of the market. If you love it and you don't mind it, then just keep it for yourself as a backup or modding platform or something like that. This is just the way things are out there right now - guys are asking for $100 off because of a finish ding, let alone a major headstock crack.

I still hope you are able to sell it though, best of luck with everything. :)

jbalou02 likes this.