Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Repaired speaker question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMisfit, Jun 26, 2001.

1. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    I have a Peavey TKO80 and the 12" speaker was repaired. When I turn up the volume the speaker makes a horrible noise of something like a "cheap overdrive" but I run clean so I don't know what the problem is. I've never heard the amp with a new speaker so I don't know if it's the repaired speaker causing the noise or I its just that the amp is not powerful enough to get that loud. Any replies would be very helpful, thanks in advance.

2. Something is wrong, probably the speaker. It's a 15 if it's original. Those amps sound good normally, so your speaker is probably blown? Just get a new speaker if you've got the cash. A decent 15 for bass will run you about $100.

Chris

3. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's blown because it sounds fine just when the volume is cranked a little over half it buzzes.

4. It's the speaker. Not the amp.
    If it where the amp the speaker would be clean and then have a horrible sound (you would definitely know) if the amp is over driven.
    I had exactly the same problem with my speakers.
    Buzzes at half volume. I couldn't stand it. So I sent them all eight of them back to the manufacturer (SWR) for a recone.
    The Buzz is caused by voice coil rub.
    The voice coil is misalined.
    Where did you get it repaired? Because it wan't done right. Either that, or the coil alinement went out during shipping.
    It's not "techincally" blown, but blown nonetheless.

5. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Thanks for the reply, I bet that was what was wrong. My second question is could I buy a Carvin 300 watt speaker even if my amp is a Peavey and only 125 watts? I mean will the screw holes line up the same? Also could I install the new speaker myself or would I need to have it professionally installed? I have all the needed sodering equipment to do the job and previous expierence. Thanks in advance.

6. You should have no problem replacing the speaker yourself. The Carvin should be fine.
    If the speaker screw holes don't line up, just fill the old ones and tap new holes.
    I like the EV 15" 400 watt 8 ohm.
    The speaker can be rated higher.

7. BassMisfit

BassMisfit

Dec 31, 2000
    Irwin, PA
    Thanks for the reply, I know it may seem that im dragging this out too much, but I have 1 more question. Does it matter if I get an 8ohm/4ohm or is there no difference? Im not sure what the rating is on the current speaker so i'm guessing I should stick with whatever ohm rating it is. Thanks Donne for all your helpful replies, you probably saved me from buying a new amp with money I don't have =).