Repairing a CASE - Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 19, 2013.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have a G&G vintage style hardshell case for my 1978 Precision. Apparently during this past weekend's gigging, one of the "feet" along the bottom spine broke off. Is this repairable and what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks in advance.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I think I'd get ahold of G&G and see what they said on the matter - they might hook you right up...

- georgestrings

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good idea george, thanks.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If it's the metal foot riveted on, the only way I'd know to fix it would be to pull the liner back so you could get to it and take out the old rivet if it's still there, and put in a new one. It's gonna take more than just a pop rivet so there's also the matter of finding the proper rivet and bucking tools. If you have any metal boat repair places nearby, that would be a good place to start looking for what you need. If the rivet pulled out you will need to put something in there for the rivet to grab. A strip of sheet metal would do it. As far as that goes, someone who does metal boat repair should be be able to the repair for you.

I've peeled back case liners with a small putty knife or paint scraper to tighten up old hinges and latches and it's not as hard as it sounds, but they use the small rivets so it's never been that big a deal to tighten them up or replace them with a plain old pop rivet. A little white glue is all it takes to stick the liner back down.

Good luck with it

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Yeah, what sucks is I don't have the foot anymore either (unless it's rattling around in our band trailer someplace)... so I'll have to find one of those as well.

6. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    Yeppers, that does suck. You could rig you something but short of bolting it on it's gonna get knocked off regular enough to make it more problem than solution. Maybe G&G can help you like George said. Other than that, if it was me it would be new case time. I'd keep the old one JIC but the last thing you need as much as you work is a constant PITA in the form of a lame case.

Sounds like my luck. Things will be going fine and I start to build up enough mad money to start thinking about a new this or that and then POP something I have to have goes belly up and has to be replaced.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I also have one of those vintage style G&G cases that came with my Hot Rod Jazz - to be honest, I wouldn't put one in a band trailer... Besides the case getting beat up really easily, they don't protect a bass all that well... If I were planning on putting a bass in my band's trailer, I'd probably go SKB at the least...

- georgestrings

8. Unless there is some sentimental reason, or it increases the value of the bass/case package, I'd just look for another case on sale or gently used.

Last time I asked my luthier to help me put a new handle on a case, the cost was close to the same for a new(er) case. And my tech is very reasonably priced.

9. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I have an older Fender tolex case which the handle broke off of. What I did was get a replacement handle, peeled back the case lining, removed all the rivets with side-cutters and pliers and used screws and nuts with washers of the right size and length to install the new handle, then glued the lining back into place. If you can get a replacement foot you should be able to screw it in the same way, rather than deal with having it riveted.

10. bluebird28

bluebird28

Feb 25, 2012
    Tacoma. WA
  11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Good thoughts guys. I may wind up looking into a true hardshell case option (SKB or similar). Use that when my bass is gonna ride in the trailer, and keep my G&G for gigs I drive to myself and just deal with it only having 3 feet. I bet I could get a used SBK for a 78 Precision pretty cheap on eBay or the like.

12. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got a couple model 44 SKB cases that are real nice, and the case that my J plus came in is a Fender badged SKB which Fender made me buy to get the bass. I guess because the J plus has a dinky body and it's the only fitted case that really works with it. The plus case is pretty janky but it's had 22 years of beating on it and all things considered it's held up better than I ever thought it would. I've tightened up the rivets and latches a few times and it still keeps my little J snug when we leave the house so I can't complain.

SKB still makes the stock Fender cases but they are not quite as stout as the 44 and have 4 clasp latches instead of the 3 new TSA approved latches that the 44 gets. Other than that and the Fender logo, they are so close to the same it would be a coin toss if I had to choose one over the other.

Ebay seller thestratsophere used to always have a few Fender cases listed for around $125 but I haven't looked lately. I got both of mine from the local GC. They list them for $149.99 but I got mine for $124 each, out the door.

Both times I bought the new SKB I looked for a while trying to snag a good used 44 or Fender case but one never floated up so I bit the bullet and picked up new ones.

13. Case repair- best glue for cloth linings for a Fender case?

Hello , I hope you can help me on what glue to use to reglue my red cloth linings on my Fender bass '72 case.

Thanks very much.
    :)

14. fhm555

Feb 16, 2011
    If you are talking about putting the liner back in place, I've used hot glue to do that and always had good luck with it.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I've reattached case linings with contact cement in the past, with excellent results...

- georgestrings

16. Hello,

I will try both hot glue and contact cement.
    Thanks everyone!

17. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    There is a guy on EBay that sells G&C case parts. You do an EBay search. I bought both latches and feet from him in the past. It takes a little know how to repair old cases, but I bet you can Google it and find tips. EBay would sure be worth a check if you want a genuine part for your case.

18. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    The contact cement will be easier to work with...

- georgestrings

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021