1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

repairing a cracked neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phsycobass, Jul 26, 2007.

1. phsycobass

phsycobass

Jun 12, 2007
    Canada
    hi everyone,

My first bass was a dean edge one. I bought it really cheap second hand because it had a bit of a crack in the neck. The crack is behind the second frett where themain neck meets the headstock peice. Now the crack has started to open up. So a few months ago i said," hell this isn't worth fixing" and I went out and bought myself a Geddly lee j-bass. Now that i've got some more serious gigs comming up, I think it would be nice to have a backup. I don't need a backup bad enough to buy another new bass but I thought maybe there is a change that i can fix up the carpy old dean. I wouldn't like to take it into a shop to have it fixed cause they told me it would cost $130 and thats more than what i paid for it. Can you please give me some suggestions on how I might be able to repair it myself? Or is it garbage? The fingerboard is still attached to both peices and the bass would be perfectly playable if the split was fixed. Also fyi the neck was a 2 peice neck so the neck hasn't actually cracked, it just came unglued.

If you need me to be more spacific lol, let me know.
    Thanks for your advice.
    Phsycobass

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hopefully others more qualified will post but I have an old Guild B302 that fell over in it's stand 20 years ago. Broke the head stock off right above the nut. It was glued back together with straight wood glue, clamped together and still plays today. :)

3. you probably should post some pictures if you want some help.