1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

repairing a... "smashed" bass body?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Christian Waiau, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I was just wondering who I could get to do the repair and about how much it would cost to repair a bass that has been smashed?

the body cracked from where the bottom horn meets the neck.. straight down through the control cavity and down towards the bridge.

It looks like like a Modulus Flea4 that Flea smashed on stage except it wasnt him that smashed.

It was my first and I've used it in every band I've been in so it has some sentimental value.. But if its going to cost more then buying a new bass... I might just lock it away in its case and buy a new bass.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    any pictures?

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Due to the commercial user's policy here in the Luthier's Corner of TB, luthiers are not actually allowed to respond to these threads in the affirmative, except to recommend other luthiers. If you want to find someone here to do it, I would suggest you read the "Who are you?" stickied thread at the top of this forum. If you see someone there, do some searching, and send them a PM if you are interested in enlisting their services.

And yes, pictures will help.

4. I was wondering myself, can a luthier respond as to how much something might cost though? Not really in the way of giving an estimate of how much they would charge the guy to do the work requested, but more of a general estimate of how much they would probably be spending for a specific job.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    sorry didnt know the details on the luthier responding situation..

I would still hope to get a response to a ball park cost? I'll try and get pictures tonite.

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I'm no luthier but I seriously doubt that repair costs would exceed the cost of a new Modulus. Heck, just Frankenstein the neck onto a different/new body.

7. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Well depending on the level of damage, you could use wood glue to put the body back together and then sand it down and give it your own finish. All fairly cheap if you know how to do it. Also to fill cracks, use saw dust from the body (finish free) and mix it with your glue and then press it into the cracks using a flat piece of wood or a paint mixer stick. After sand until satisfied. Hope this helps!

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Yes, pics would be helpful in even assessing if it is worth fixing, or at worst having a clone of the body made.

Yes Luthiers can answer what they believe a repair may cost as long as it is not a direct quote for service or solicitation. A lot of us give general price ranges on here when someone asks what repairs cost, it helps to give people an idea of price differential around the country.