Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

repairing a tone control knob..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 4, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    my mom knocked over my bass in a fit of rage the other day.. it fell off of its stand and fell face first.. everythings ok BUT!! my tone control knob is all messed up now.. its stuck on low bass signal.. and the knob just spins and spins and doesnt effect anything.. how much will it cost to fix this?

i opend up the back of it and i see the pod where it rests into is loose so that spins too but not only that but the knob is actually properly before the pod starts to turn with it too.. but it doesnt effect the tone at all.. it just stays at low bass... im very sad and need it fixed.. how much will it cost? will sam ash rape me in my arse to get it fixed or should i spend the extra $4 to take the train to guitar center? or will the $4 ride not even be worth it? i mean i can over come the holier then thoug attitude from sam ash if my baby gets fixed..

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of bass is it? Are there set screws (hex-head or flathead) on the side of the knob? It may simply be a case of tightening the knob onto the shaft.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    its an ibanez.. i dont see anything... next to anything..

edit.. alright i just went in again and at a closer inspection, not only is the resting pod loose BUT one of the wires got disconnected.. so thats MORE $$$ that i dont have.. i literaly have like $12 in my pocket and i highly doubt thats enough to fix it..

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    By your birthday, I assume you're in college. Find an electrical engineer who can solder it back together for ya.

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    well no im in high school.. iv got a soldering iron but im not going to go at it my self.. and none of my bass friends are skilled enough to help me..

and no my birthday is in december.. thats a long way off...

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Aw, come on now- it's easy! Give it a try! Just look carefully at the solder joint where the wire USED to be, melt the old solder off, put the end of the wire back in the hole, and hit it with a spot of solder. There's really no magic in soldering, just don't get the parts too hot. And think of the sense of accomplishment you'll feel having fixed it yourself! YOU CAN DO IT! :D

7. Do you actually use the tone pot? If the pot's shot cut it out of the circuit entirely...

8. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    id still feel more comfortable if somebody else did it.. :p id be able to do it mys elf if i knew exactly what do do and where to do it an dhow exactly too :p

yea i use it.. :p i get better pops when i have the bass turned down

9. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    some updates..

Friend 1:i can resolder it for you just get me a soldering iron and i can probably fix the roatating pod but half assed..

Friend 2:i have a sodlering iron and i could do it for you but i cant fix the rotating pod..

Sam ash: the tech guy isnt here but try again tomorow but it should run you about $25-$30

Guitar center(over the phone): i can resolder it for you for free but i charge a bass/base(not sure wich he was refering too..) fee of $55 for anything dealing with the inard..

ok i trust friend 1 to do a decent job..
    friend 2 i dont trust that much,i once leant him one of my basses and i got it back really strange.. too much to explain
    sam ash seams like my best bet so far..
    $55?! thats literaly more than half of what i paid for the bass originally!!(no no i dont have a cheap poop bass.. its an ibanez that i got second hand for $85 WITH an ibanez amp and case..)

so my vote goes towerds sam ash.. and yours?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, in that case Sam Ash sounds liek your best bet doesnt it?