1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Repairing an '83 Peavey T-40

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by icecursor, Mar 27, 2009.

1. icecursor

icecursor

Mar 27, 2009
    Griffin, GA
    I have just recently come into possession of a '83 Peavey T-40 :bassist: and I wanted to restore it. Now because I wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of money it'd cost me to send it out to get it done, I was wondering if maybe I could ask questions about it.

I have to re-sand everything (it's all banged up and dents everywhere), and wanted to stain it with an espresso stain (the wood is ash and the meck is maple)

----Progress thus far is the body is sanded down to 320... but I'm stuck on what to do with this all maple neck. What should I do?
    There's a bit of wear on the first 8 frets! how should I take care of this gorgeous beauty?

2. If you wanted to keep it stock looking you should be able to find satin finish polyrub that would protect/seal the ash and give it that vintage peavey finish. According to my local luthier if you have sanded to 320 it should be fine. I wouldn't try refinishing the maple neck unless it really needs it. I would suggest taking the neck to a pro and have a quality fret dress, but if your not interested in spending the 40 to 70 dollars that it may cost, tape off the fretboard with blue painters tape, and wrap some 400 grit wet sand paper around your index finger. Slide it up and down the neck and you can smooth out alot of the fret wear that your neck has. It won't be pro caliber, but it will probably get you through a few month at least.